• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

2015 5.3l L83 swap

Vservello

I have a 2015 5.3l L83 full drop out from a Silverado. Engine, bolt on accessories, tran, trans case, ECU and harness.
I want to put this into my 04 Avalanche.
What issues should I be ready for?

Computers.

I do not think anything after 2007 works well with prior car computers.

but I may be wrong.

I have the computer. Wondering what kind of wiring issues. Have the harness, but dought things will stay plug and play.

What about tranny?

This will be an interesting swap, I think the major problem is making the 2015 computer AKA PCM/ECM talk to the 04 system.

They made changes in 2007 then again in 2014 with the way those systems communicate.

But do post which tranny does it have.

It has the 6L80.
If I replace the computer I am thinking communication should not be an issue. How that info is passed through the harness I am concerned with. I am thinking figuring out the difference in wiring will be the biggest problem.
I am thinking about this wrong?

Might not talk to Body Computers so things like AC, gages etc may not work.

Easiest and safeest bet is engine of same year.

Agree, same year would certainly be easiest.
By the time you rebuild, replace bolt on accessories, tranny, trans-case, it make it economically not a good choice.
Got the entire dropout with 32k miles for a stupid price. Hope I can make it work!
Any suggestions?

I'm afraid ygmn is right just too many differences

04 low speed network, 15 high speed 

The only guy I know of to claim he did this swap said he used 2 Engine Computers and somehow wired them together

Back