• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

AV or Sierra?

Annona

Hi all,

My search for an AV has led me to these 2. I understand that in an AV forum, the answers will skew heavily that way. However, I'd like to just get your opinions anyways, especially after outlining my intended use for the vehicle.

2007 AV 3LT, Gold/tan color exterior, black leather, 4WD, 1 owner, 108K miles, $12K. 
2007 Sierra, 4WD, Gray exterior, black leather, 170K miles, lifted on aftermarket wheels, not sure what lift kit or how much higher. $12K.

My intended use:
Twice a month landscaping job, need to load up the bed with lawnmower, weed whacker, ....haul away branches to dumpster.
Monthly trips to garden center to buy plants, bags of soils, fertilizers,....
Once to twice a year trips to ski slopes.
A few times a year to mountain hikes, with 2 dogs (they'll be in the bed, I don't want dogs inside the cabin)
My family consists of wife and 2 sons about 6' tall. I think they can fit rather OK in the back of the Sierra, definitely fine in the AV.

My preliminary impression is that I'd be fine with either truck. BUT, I don't know if the huge discrepancy in miles of about 60,000 should be a difference maker.  Also the fact that the Sierra is lifted, quality of parts and installation, future issues with a lifted truck,.... So maybe the safe choice is the Avalanche?
What do you guys think?
Thanks!!!

7AUbbK3.jpg

3btqYNI.jpg

Avy is exactly what you need.
Lower mileage is worth it right there.

You do not need lift kit if you will be using the bed unless you are very tall and have a good back.

Kids fit better in avy and I doubt they would enjoy any trip over 30 mins in SIerra back seats.

No brainer.... I cannot see one PRO for SIERRA.

Two 6' tall boys will appreciate the back seat space of the Avy over the Sierra any day of the week.  It will also do all the chores you mention you will be doing.

Hopefully I will pick up the AV this weekend, it's a 4 hour trip one way. Will probably get a 1 way car rental.
Do you think the price is reasonable? Dealer said it's firm, not budging at all.
Thanks,

What type of warranty are they offering, that may be a negotiation point
Price depends on where you live try www.kbb.com for prices in your area.

I agree with MS03 2500,
In order to help determine a fare market price in your area you should input as much info as you can at sites like www.kbb.co or www.edmunds.com .
Problem with picking any used vehicle is you may not be able to get a true history of maintenance,exposure or accidents to that particular vehicle which would make a big difference in the condition and help in determining the future life of the vehicle.
You may not be aware of the fact that the AV is built on the Suburban frame and suspension so it will have a more SUV type of plush ride v. a pickup truck. It also has 4 full size doors which will make it easier to load and unload the back of the cab. The Av is considered "The Swiss Army Knife" and can have many uses and configurations.
I know I am old but I would not enjoy a lifted vehicle since they can be harder to get in and out of, especially if you have a wife and she is in a skirt. Then the larger tires are more expensive to replace and cause more rolling resistance and may affect your gas mileage. In buying a used vehicle I prefer a close to stock as possible vehicle not one that has been modified with many unknown components and mechanical abilities.
Good luck in your search....

MS03 2500 said:
What type of warranty are they offering, that may be a negotiation point
Price depends on where you live try www.kbb.com for prices in your area.
Wrong, you want to check the prices in the area you're buying it from. It could be quite a difference. That seller doesn't care that you can get that same truck for $2k less if you're 4 hours away when someone local will pay what they want.

Boy you remind me of Flint4X4

Back