• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Ball joint issues

wolfsmane

On my 2005 LT 5.3 non cladded - In April 2019, I had a pop or a clunk when turning sharp out of driveway or parking spaces. Front end was all original except wheel bearings(replaced in 2016). I replaced the upper and lower Balljoints, inner and outer tie rods and the sway bar end links. In June, I was hearing mild clunking when turning sharp. I couldn't tell where it was coming from, so I attached my go-pro on the frame pointing at the front end and saw that there was play at the control arm bushings. I should have just bought the whole control arms with ball joints attached, I know.
So, I had a local shop replace the bushings upper and lower , both sides.

Everything ran smooth until about a month ago. Started hearing the pop again when turning sharp - just from the passenger side. Took the wheel off and inspected, and the ball joint was shot. Boot was ripped off and the joint was exposed. Bought another ball joint and when I went to remove the damaged one, I realized that part of what had happened was that the threads had stripped off, the castle nut was literally sitting on the cotter pin. So, I had to cut that one off to get it out, inspected everything and didn't see any other issues, so I installed the new ball joint and torqued it according to the paperwork.

Then, 3 days ago I am backing out of a parking space and hear a mild pop/clunk. And now every time I turn sharp the pop/clunk. Also, I have a lifetime front end alignment service at the local garage, so every time I have worked on it, I followed with an alignment.

What am I missing here, or what am I doing wrong that this keeps happening? Can it be as simple as 2 bad ball joints? All parts were Moog, BTW.

OK ok ok I know this is a dumb question but are you adding grease to the ball joints when you put them on.

BTW it has been a long time since we heard from ya.

Yes, definitely adding grease. These new style Moogs have a weep hole for excessive grease. I pumped in until it started to weep. And, to add, the other side is not having any issues.

Yes, it has been a long time since I used these forums. I was trying to search if anyone else was having any similar problems.

Thanks for the heads up, I had my control arms replaced this summer. Going to have to take a look at them and plug the holes if I have any.

I don't know if I spoke incorrectly, but the holes are meant to be there. When installed correctly, they are pointed away from the brake assembly.

I wish that I had just bit the bullet and bought the whole control arm assembly, but with my limited mechanics experience, I was nervous about
not properly aligning the adjustments for the toe in or camber, whichever that affects. I am learning by watching videos and asking lots of questions,
but didn't really find any videos that properly showed the correct way to install that.

Yeah after a few searches I found out you were referring to the grease relief valve

Back