• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

How long will it last?

Exfarmer

We have a 2010 LT with trailering package. It has 235k km (147k mi). It has been extremely dependable. Other than maintenance items the only things I've replaced are a p/s hose at 120k km and brake pads and rear shocks at 230k km. 
What else can I expect to have to replace or repair in the next 80k km or 50k mi. to keep this truck dependable and comfortable. I expect  front struts will need replacing soon but so  far are still fine.  How long are engine and tranny good for? Thanks for your input.

There are many variables which can affect the longevity of any vehicle. Proper preventative maintenance and limiting exposure to harsh environments can have a big effect on longevity.
If you read the threads about  "high mileage clubs" and other related topics you will see that there are many AVs that have very high mileage and those that are from first generation AVs too (2002-2006).
You did not say if you are the original owner of the 2010 or not so if not it would just be a guess on previous maintenance and exposure/accidents etc.
As a general rule use your owner's manual service schedule as a guide and if unknown get those sections checked and serviced so you have a clean starting point. Then when possible get your AV on a lift and power-wash the underside and look for rust or damage. Cut out the rust and replace panels as needed, then treat with rust inhibitors and sealers. Be sure to check things like brake and fuel lines to check for corrosion as well. If you tackle the cancer of rust and properly maintain the mechanical parts there is no telling how long you could keep your AV on the road.
Good luck and I hope you have many happy and safe miles in your AV.

Yes we are the original owners and have done  regular oil changes etc. It  is starting to show some surface rust on the rear quarters so I need to do something about  that.  I think we will probably end up keeping it  to a while longer. Maybe get a some car to reduce mileage on the Event.

Last forever if your Wallet is full.

Engine can always be replaced or rebuilt
Tranny and other parts can be rebuilt or replaced...

Money is what drives car life.

Back