• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Location of XM radio unit in 2013 LTZ

geoffk

Hi. I'm trying to install a bluetooth streaming interface on my 2013 Avalanche LTZ, which is designed to connect to the factory XM radio module. All information I've found suggests that this should be located in the cavity behind the glove-box, but it isn't there for me. I have a currently-active XM subscription so I know it's somewhere, I'm just not sure WHERE. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I think in the later years the XM module was built right into the head unit.

Thanks for the response.  Does anyone know if it's possible to add BT streaming audio to the 2013 with this configuration?  The unit I bought, Crux BTS-GM1X, claims it's compatible but if there isn't the same 12-pin connector by the head unit I don't see how it could be.

According to my shop manual, which only goes up to 2009, the Digital Radio Receiver is still behind the glovebox, but you'll also need to remove the Instrument Panel Lower Trim Panel Insulator. The lower trim panel is basically a skirt to the glovebox, and there are 3 clips or screws that go straight up to hold it in. Car2kjet could still be correct that later years don't have it, but I wanted to let you know it appears to still be there in 2009.

Have you removed that lower trim panel below the glovebox?

Attachments

• Untitled223.png
    Untitled223.png
    91.7 KB · Views: 6
  • Untitled224.png
    Untitled224.png
    102 KB · Views: 7
geoffk, do you have a nav unit in your LTZ? Could be helpful to know what option code you have. Can you check in your glove box to find out if you have one of the following; US8, UUI, UUN, UUJ or UYS

In 2010 GM changed the head unit format. It's not a direct plug and play with 2007-2009. They also offered a hard drive based nav unit for 2012-2013 that I know has the satellite receiver as part of the radio itself.

BainMan: While I didn't remove that trim panel, I THINK I have enough visibility looking down through the dash cavity to see that the unit isn't parked in that location, unless it really looks different than expected.
ca2kjet: Yes, I have factory nav.  From your list I see UYS list on the service parts sticker.

Thanks for all responses, really happy to have found this forum.  I'm a newer Avalancher (I've had mine all of a week) but love it so far.

This is what the rear of the 2013 nav unit looks like. Bottom right corner, yellow connector. That's the sat radio antenna port. Module is built into the head unit. What kind of a connection does the Bluetooth streaming interface require?

2013-gm-nav-rear.jpg

This is the product: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075ZQZX3Y/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's intended to chain in between the XM tuner and the head unit via a 16-pin connector, giving streaming without losing the XM radio.

Back