• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Loss of Power, Check Engine, Traction Control, Anti-skid

Hound

SM 2006
SM 2005
:help:  2013

Truck was operating normally.  Stopped at a red light.  Went to accelerate on green and nothing happened.  "Loss of Power" or "Reduced Power" was on the DIC, along with the check engine light.  Shut the motor off and restarted.  Now, stabilitrac and anti-skid lights are on as well as check engine.  Very rough idle.  No throttle/Loss of power. 

Limped it 5 miles home. 

First thought was fuel pump because I think this happened 6 years ago....can't recall.  Tried to do some research here and saw a suggestion for traction control sensor.

Absent reading codes, any ideas?

No way without codes.... unless it has no codes then it would be fuel pump... but then it just dies and does not run... no real lights

ygmn said:
No way without codes....

This morning, truck running normally but engine light  is on.  Took it over to Advance Auto and they read the codes.  Told me it was the Throttle Position Sensor.  Curious why it would run like crap last night, even after a restart, but then be fine this morning. 

Did they give you PXXX code?

Could be connector at TPS spray with WD40 and reconnect solidly.
Reset Codes and drive some more.

Happened to me after 3 months of owning mine in 2001. Dealer cleaned and reset and no issues ever since.

Have the spark plugs been replaced?

Hound said:
This morning, truck running normally but engine light  is on.  Took it over to Advance Auto and they read the codes.  Told me it was the Throttle Position Sensor.  Curious why it would run like crap last night, even after a restart, but then be fine this morning.

Mine has done this three or four times over the past three or four years.

Each time I cleaned and re-seated the TB connector and it would go a long time before it did it again.

The last two times were in the past three months.

I replaced the throttle body today because the codes always pointed to the TB throttle position sensor.

I figured 234K miles was good enough.

ca2kjet said:
Have the spark plugs been replaced?

Not recently.  But I am going to pull the TB connector and clean it up a bit

Back