• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Passlock / Passkey security system

USMCgymnast

Hey everyone,
I have a 2004 2500 Avalanche.  I bought it used a few years ago (upgraded from my 2004 1500), when I bought it the guy told me the security light stays on but never gives him any issues.  Turns out he wasn't completely honest; every once in a while the truck won't start.  I could do the Passlock reset (on off 3 times etc), or I can just leave the truck for a few hours and come back.  At one point about 2 years ago it got really bad (it was acting up several times a week) so I took it into the Stealership and paid them the $1000 to replace the ignition switch, housing, cylinder, shift controller, and purchase a new key.  It kind of fixed the issue.  The light stayed on, but it hadn't killed the engine... until yesterday.  Same MO.  I left it for a few hours, came back and it worked just fine - but the light stays on.

So now I've been told the only possible explanation is the ECM (PCM) is going out.  Does this sound reasonable?  If it does, I found an ECM online which claims it's pre-programmed, has anyone ever purchased something like this before?  Is it actually plug and play?

https://mintt.com/general-motors/chevrolet-ecu/avalanche-engine-control-module/2004-chevrolet-avalanche-2500-pcm-ecm-ecu-programmed/

Back