Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Keep CAFCNA Alive! Become a Supporting Member Today!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Oil Pressure Guage  (Read 130 times)

kmarshall21

• Drive it Like you Stole it!
Oil Pressure Guage
« on: December 15, 2019, 11:25:13 AM »

while driving, oil pressure gauge drops to 0 - then occasionally pegs out at 80, then drops back to 0. Checked the dipstick, says its full. Not throwing any codes - assume a bad sending unit...?
2004, Maroon body, airlift bag system, diamond plated floorboard, Volant Cold Air Intake

EXT4ME

• CAFCNA 2019 Premium Member
  • ... I saw a DEADHEAD sticker on a Cadillac ...
Re: Oil Pressure Guage
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2019, 03:05:18 AM »

The random pegging at 80 makes me think the problem lies with the oil pressure sensor.

I have had to change mine out in my 2004 a time or two.

It would not be unreasonable to assume the one in your 2004 might be due, as well.

It is always a possibility that the stepper motor in your cluster may be going bad, but I would lean more toward the oil pressure sensor.

With the proper sensor socket, a swivel and a couple of extensions, the sensor can be changed out in less than an hour with a couple of soft drink breaks along the way.

I would advise only purchasing an ACDelco OE (not the lower quality ACDelco Professional version) oil pressure sensor as opposed to a cheaper aftermarket unit.

I have had better luck with the ACDelco OE parts for this repair.

Your 2004 engine will NOT have the plastic filter screen that you will see some people advise you to also replace, so don't bother looking for or purchasing a replacement part for that.

Best of luck with your repair.

:thumbsup:
2004 Cadillac Escalade EXT, White Diamond, New Shale front seat leather from The Seat Shop. WeatherTech FloorLiner DigitalFit. Powerflow Pro-Fit Splash Guards. Arnott/Bilstein front shocks and rear air shocks with Arnott air compressor kit. Refinish Restorer. SeaFoam. Goodyear (Now Continental) Gatorback belts.  BFGoodrich Advantage T/A Sport LT.

rbrt43

• I love the Chevy Avalanche
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2020, 07:13:42 AM »

I recently purchased a 2006 Avalanche and the oil pressure gauge just tops at 80 when the engine is started.  I anticipate that it is the sending unit.  Does the 2006 5.3L have the plastic screen filter mentioned?

BainMan

• Send it!
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2020, 10:54:51 AM »

rbrt43, no you shouldn't have the filter/screen. DOD/AFM/4-cylinder mode started in 2007 on the Avalanche.
2010 LTZ, bone stock 5.3
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.098 seconds with 24 queries.