• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

500,000 Mile Club

pitboss

Today I pulled over to take a picture on my 2002 Z71 Avalanche after it rolled over at 500K miles.  I submitted a post a couple of years ago when she was at 400K, and hoped I would see the half million mark someday.

The engine has been spectacular.  The water pump, alternator, knock sensors, belts, and plugs have been replaced during the past 18 years.  That's it.  What a job the engineers did designing the 5.3 back in the day.  The transmission failed at around 360K, and I had bearings replaced in the rear end as well, but I can say without a doubt that this has been the finest Chevy I've ever owned.

The old girl is showing her age a bit, with various lights out in the dash, some hail damage on the body, and the driver's seat armrest worn.  But I still trust the truck to get me down the road, and will continue to drive it from time to time until the wheels finally come off.

Attachments

• IMG_1099.jpg
    IMG_1099.jpg
    943.9 KB · Views: 49
Great job keeping her on the road.. Just shows how well these Av's are built, wasn't long ago that if you had more than 100k on your ride people would dump them.. Mines almost at 280,000 miles and still going strong..

Just think, my 2013 has 30,000miles, so if I can keep mine for a long time, it will last me for my lifetime.

Great to read.

still driving my 2002 once a month or so.

I forgot to post one additional fix that I made to the engine, which was to replace the o-ring on the oil pump pickup tube.  It's easy to understand why I forgot about it, as who wants to remember dropping the pan on a Z-71.  :D

I have a 2004 avalanche with 241,000 miles engine still running good

pitboss said:
Today I pulled over to take a picture on my 2002 Z71 Avalanche after it rolled over at 500K miles.  I submitted a post a couple of years ago when she was at 400K, and hoped I would see the half million mark someday.

The engine has been spectacular.  The water pump, alternator, knock sensors, belts, and plugs have been replaced during the past 18 years.  That's it.  What a job the engineers did designing the 5.3 back in the day.  The transmission failed at around 360K, and I had bearings replaced in the rear end as well, but I can say without a doubt that this has been the finest Chevy I've ever owned.

The old girl is showing her age a bit, with various lights out in the dash, some hail damage on the body, and the driver's seat armrest worn.  But I still trust the truck to get me down the road, and will continue to drive it from time to time until the wheels finally come off.

Take that dash cluster out and have it re-lit.  I had a guy that has done these on E-bay for years and has a lifetime warranty on his work.  The cluster is easy to remove and for about $120.00, you have a like new dash system. 

Bought the 02 Avy about a month ago, PO had motor replaced around 270k and current motor has 250k. It has been pretty well maintained few creaks and groans, couple trips to salvage yard for trim pieces and it's good to go.

Attachments

• 20200731_190130.jpg
    20200731_190130.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 18
Bought the 02 Avy about a month ago, PO had motor replaced around 270k and current motor has 250k. It has been pretty well maintained few creaks and groans, couple trips to salvage yard for trim pieces and it's good to go.
Wow, that looks amazing for over 500,000 miles. I love your C-10 also. What a great fleet you have. ?

I believe to this day that if my 07 was not equipped with the AFM crap the engine would last forever.
When I tore it down it looked brand new all except for the active fuel issues..

Take that dash cluster out and have it re-lit. I had a guy that has done these on E-bay for years and has a lifetime warranty on his work. The cluster is easy to remove and for about $120.00, you have a like new dash system.
How does he get a lifetime warrantee? It also has a date ending too doesn’t it?

Back