• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

What weight and brand oil does everyone use

tblt44

I have 179k on mine with a mix of penzoil ultra and QSUD 5w 30 now.
Thinking of going to 10w 30 valvoline or mobil 1 HM next oil change here in Florida

You may want to spend some time reading older threads in this board:

https://www.chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php?board=112.0

There have been a multitude of threads about which type of oil to use.....

Mobil 1 5W-30 with a NAPA Platinum (WIX) oil filter.

Currently at 235K miles.

Try2kup said:
I run 5W/30 full synthetic Amsoil XL and AC Delco PF48E
2013 with 65,000 miles

This is probably fixed and not an issue anymore, but I won't run the PF48E... I read that Corvette's were blowing up on test drives due to this filter. Relevant TSB below:

#PIP5276D: SES Lamp P0521 Setting After An Oil Change And Or Low Oil Pressure Indicated On The Instrument Panel - (Jun 8, 2015)
Subject: SES Lamp P0521 Setting After An Oil Change And Or Low Oil Pressure Indicated On The Instrument Panel
Models: 2007-2013 Cadillac CTS-V, Escalade
2007-2013 Chevrolet Avalanche, Camaro SS, Colorado, Corvette, Express, Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe
2007-2013 GMC Canyon, Sierra, Savana, Yukon
with a V8 Engine (RPOs L20, L77, L94, L96, L99, L9H, LC8, LC9, LH9, LMF, LMG, LY6, LZ1)

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.
Condition/Concern
A concern of a P0521 Setting After an oil change and or low oil pressure indicated on the instrument panel.
Recommendation/Instructions
If you are working on a Gen4 V8 that is setting a DTC P0521 and or low oil pressure indicated on the instrument panel in cold or hot weather and the engine is currently equipped with a PF48E oil filter, replace with a UPF48R oil filter if one is available.
Note: Only use the UPF48R oil filter if theGen4 V8 is setting a DTC P0521.

ON my 2500 I run Royal Purple 5W-30 synthetic with a K&N HP 3002 filter. The 3002 filter is the taller filter since my AV is lifted and there is more room for it, adds 1/2 quart for a full 7 quart oil change. If you don't have a lift then use the HP 2002 short filter.

275,000 miles with no oil related issues..

Castrol Edge 5W30, and whatever half decent six pack of filters I can find off RockAuto.
Last batch I bought are Puro Group 7 filters.
I cut one open after 3000 miles just for grins.
Filter media is solidly constructed.
Metal end caps, with no sign of them detaching from the media.
Bypass valve is a cheesy flat metal spring (as opposed to an actual coil spring like in a Wix filter) but that's ok, as I don't plan to leave the filter in there past 3 or 4K anyway.
Way better than any Fram filter! lol... :D

CarMech1969

For the first few years I used Mobil 1 5w30, then in 2004 I changed to Amsoil Signature 5w30 and I've been using that ever since. Oil changes every 3k miles.

Full Synthetic 5W30..

whatever brand is on-sale
Generally every 5K miles.. (The Green Booger is just over 181Kmiles) but recent history I have multiple vehicles, so I drive each less, so every 6 months when < 5K miles. I call it cheap therapy (when the hood is up I am left alone).

Most recent sale I took advantage of:
Menards: FINAL PRICE $17.69
Good Through 11/6/22
Pennzoil® Full Synthetic Motor Oil - 5 Quarts
EVERYDAY LOW PRICE$19.88
11% MAIL-IN REBATE - $2.19

Last edited:
Mobil 1 5W-30 in all of our GM vehicles.

Mobil 1 0W-20 in the Toyota RAV4 along with a genuine Toyota filter cartridge.

All other vehicles get a NAPA Platinum oil filter (WIX).

In a rare case where a Platinum oil filter may not be available, I will drop a tier and use a NAPA Gold oil filter.

I buy oil and filters in bulk and keep stock in the garage.

All oil changes are performed when the vehicle odometer hits or nears each even 5000 mark.

This generally is about when 20-30% of oil life left is on the oil life monitors.

Using the odometer that way makes it easy to know at a glance where I stand in relation to the next oil change.

Since history has shown that I will keep most vehicles until the odometer has reached or well exceeded a quarter million miles, and I have yet to record any oil related engine failures, I feel this type of oil and filter and oil change schedule is both safe and convenient.

I buy oil and filters in bulk and keep stock in the garage.

Since history has shown that I will keep most vehicles until the odometer has reached or well exceeded a quarter million miles, and I have yet to record any oil related engine failures, I feel this type of oil and filter and oil change schedule is both safe and convenient.

...I feel this type of oil and filter and oil change schedule is both safe and convenient.
Ditto all that.. (5K sure is a handy way to remember) I call that "corner" of my garage my oil and filter collection. Just did the plugs and oil change on the wife's Subaru.. Decided to run out and get a new air filter (changed a few months back, but had a bunch of bugs in it).. Her reply.. "Really you don't have one for my car in your collection?"
In addition to ..safe and convenient, I call it therapy..

Back