• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Factory stereo - AUX input? How to find and use?

HISZ66HERZ71

Has anyone noticed that the factory stereos have an AUX button on them?  Where is this input?  And how can we connect something like a headphone input jack for playing an MP3 player through it?

Thanks In Advance

There really isn't one.

The aux button I believe is for when you have an external device that supports it. Maybe the remote CD player or the overhead DVD player but there is nothing in the head its self.

You can get an add on piece however that ties into your XMRadio feed and gives you an Aux feed. But basically you have to be on one of the XM channels to get the Aux sound.

Assuming you are talking about a 2003-2006 truck. Others may be different. If you don't see an Aux plug right on the dash you probably don't really have one.

Rodney

Companies do make devices that you can pluginto radio between existing harness that will provide a headphone jack or such when you press AUX button.

PAC and I think PIE make them.

I have one on my 2002 and I connect my portable XMplayer to it.

ygmn said:
Companies do make devices that you can pluginto radio between existing harness that will provide a headphone jack or such when you press AUX button.

PAC and I think PIE make them.

I have one on my 2002 and I connect my portable XMplayer to it.
Sorry but this is incorrect for the model year 2003-2006 standard radios. I have a PAC unit in my truck.
I don't know about the 2002 and at some point they did start actually including the actual aux port on the radio in 2007 or later years?

The aux add on basically hijacks the input port on the back of the radio but requires you to have it turned on. You must have XM radio, external cd or overhead dvd player for this to work.
It has 2 AUX ports on it and there is a switch. The switch determines which aux port or normal operation. But you MUST have the radio talking to one of the external devices for it to work. So in my truck I have to put it to one of the XM radio stations and then it will work. The AUX button on the radio does nothing in this setup.

well I have a 2002 and it works and OP lists a 2002.

redheadedrod said:
Sorry but this is incorrect for the model year 2003-2006 standard radios. I have a PAC unit in my truck.
I don't know about the 2002 and at some point they did start actually including the actual aux port on the radio in 2007 or later years?

The aux add on basically hijacks the input port on the back of the radio but requires you to have it turned on. You must have XM radio, external cd or overhead dvd player for this to work.
It has 2 AUX ports on it and there is a switch. The switch determines which aux port or normal operation. But you MUST have the radio talking to one of the external devices for it to work. So in my truck I have to put it to one of the XM radio stations and then it will work. The AUX button on the radio does nothing in this setup.

Sorry, but this is incorrect.
They DO make a harness/adapter kit that works.
The PAC GM12 is the hijack unit you speak of that requires an external factory slave, this is true.
However, PAC also makes a complete kit for the 03-06 AV that includes a twin aux input (RCA and 3.5mm) and the HGM5 consolidation harness. Look for PAC part# GM535 or ISGM535

I have one Calicak and unless they updated them from the one I have they HiJack the databus to provide the Aux port. You have to have a device running such as XM Radio or if you have an external DVD player etc... But it does NOT give AUX port when you hit AUX...

Has a 3 way switch to choose which port you want to use. Aux1/Aux2 or the standard Digital bus.

My 2007 factory stereo has a ipod line in glove box, I'd assume aux line needs routing off rear of system.
Unless previous owner of mine customized ipod jack it's been broken from previous use of ipod Jack so I cant test it.
Plan on seeing where it goes & adding a cellphone jack for my Samsung S10E. Would like to us aux on phone myself

Back