• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

2002 Chevy Avalanche Cellular Antenna upgrade options??

MAL1027

SM 2022
Hello all . . . original 02 Avy owner looking to do a major overhaul on his truck this year.  One of the areas I want to address is the old cellular Onstar antenna that is basically worthless . . .

Has anyone replaced this antenna with a new model XM/Sirius antenna?  Is this possible?  Or should I just fill patch the hole and repaint?

Thanks for the assist!

Manny

Wow AV owner since 2002 and site member since 2012 with two posts.....Must be strong silent type or too busy driving to post.  :laugh:

Some members with old OnStar system upgraded to digital to keep the function. If you choose not to you should talk to service department at www.crutchfield.com they can hep you get the right head unit and adapters and other parts you need to modernize a 2002 system.

The OnStar system in a 2002 is DEAD.

For it to work youhave to replace a whole bunch of stuff - Like everything.

Not worth it doing anything to any part of it I say.

Here's an update.
The antenna that I supplied did not work because there is more wiring that goes to it. I ordered this from E Bay. It has a newer antenna and the wiring. This is the wiring that goes to the back of the satellite tuner. My 2002 originally had OnStar which was good for a year after I bought the truck.

Last edited:
Here's an update.
The antenna that I supplied did not work because there is more wiring that goes to it. I ordered this from E Bay. It has a newer antenna and the wiring. This is the wiring that goes to the back of the satellite tuner. My 2002 originally had OnStar which was good for a year after I bought the truck.
Thanks for posting! I was looking to replace the whole setup, wiring and all . . . when you tried to instal did the antenna fit the contour of your Avy? My cellular ant is now leaking and I need to replace it. I am installing a new head unit, so I can rerun the wiring to support it if it physically fits . . .

Thanks in advance!

Manny

Back