• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

13 avalanche key programming

On3go

Hello all, I'm having a hard time trying to figure out how to program a key. I only have one set when I bought the truck. I see a guide for 07-10 but nothing newer than that. Anyone know if I can self program the key? I'm not referring to the fob, just the key itself. Thanks

I think you need the scan tool to progran new ones on the newer trucks. But google did bring this up. Maybe worth a try. I know it works for the older ones.

1. Insert the original, already programmed key in the ignition and start the engine.
2. After the engine has started, turn the key to off and remove the key.
3. Insert the key to be programmed and turn it to on within 10 seconds of removing the original key.
4. The security light will turn off once the key has been programmed. It may not be apparent if the security lightwent on due to how quickly the key is programmed.

dcn427 said:
I think you need the scan tool to progran new ones on the newer trucks. But google did bring this up. Maybe worth a try. I know it works for the older ones.

1. Insert the original, already programmed key in the ignition and start the engine.
2. After the engine has started, turn the key to off and remove the key.
3. Insert the key to be programmed and turn it to on within 10 seconds of removing the original key.
4. The security light will turn off once the key has been programmed. It may not be apparent if the security lightwent on due to how quickly the key is programmed.
Thanks for the advice, I'll give it a try once I get a few minutes

I'll post below what works for my 2010, similar to what dcn427 notes but without starting the truck. Maybe both works, who knows.

1. Take the original key that is already programmed and stick it in the ignition.
2. Turn the key to run but do not start the vehicle. Wait until the security light goes off and then remove the key from the ignition.
3. Now take the new transponder key that is not yet programmed and stick in the ignition and turn it to RUN. Do not start the vehicle.
4. Wait until the security light turns off and remove the new key.

The new transponder chip key should now be programmed.

I think I got it. I did a mix of 2 ways. First started the truck, let it run for 30 seconds. Shut it down, put new key in, started right up. Turned everything off, locked it up, then unlocked and started with the new key. So far so good, even came back out to the truck and unlocked/started with no issues. Thanks for the suggestions, I'm just glad to get the key programmed without any costs.

Back