• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Bought hub covers for my '02 2500 but they don't fit

russmcb

Apologies if this has been discussed before.  I didn't find anything searching.

I lost a hub cover off one of my stock rims.  I bought a nice new set off ebay, for a "2000-2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 8 LUG WHEEL".  I assumed that were the same as what I have but the plastic nuts only barely start threading onto the lug nuts.  These new ones seem to sit a bit more off the rim surface.

Is this a common mistake by newbies?

Anyone want to take these off my hands and I'll be a little more careful with my next purchase?

Thanks for any replies.

(where's the attachment icon?)

Another possibility, I guess - Are there different, taller lug nuts (that might have threads that will reach)?

Just a thought. 

Sure seems odd Chevy would have different caps/wheels/lug nuts for such similar vehicles.

Yep the front lugs are different from the rear. You may want to search 11588810 and 11588811 then duallys have even longer ones

Thanks for the reply.  Are you referring to the studs or the lug nuts?

If the stud lengths are different, I don't think that would affect the plastic thread engagement.  I'm also not clear about if the front and rear lug nuts being different would be the explanation for my problem, unless a pickup truck's lug nuts were longer.  I'm hoping that's not the solution because I don't want to buy 32 new lug nuts.

But, the ebay seller is responding, so I may be able to easily return or exchange the hub caps I bought.

Does this forum not allow attaching photos?

Does your lugs look like this, the small end threads grab the plastic caps.

Its probably just me but the studs do not have threads, so I consider them lugs and lug nuts

Wheel-Stud-Genuine-GM-Original-Equipment-Part.jpg

Ah, thanks for the picture.

My studs may look like that, but the real problem I have is,

On my truck, the center caps have eight black plastic nuts that screw onto the lug nuts' *external* threads.

I wish I could figure out how to post a picture.  That option seems to be unavailable to me.

Let's try this:  https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Chevy-GMC-pickup-truck-van-Black-plastic-lug-nut-cover-external-thread-nuts-/232575195204

FYI russmcb you do not have enough posts to be able to post photos yet but there are some threads in this section of the website to explain some different ways to post photos:

https://www.chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php?board=2.0

That does look familiar to me, I have not had a stock wheel on mine since 2008

Back