• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

What is this hose hanging down near the transmission?

wulftone

Sooo all of the sudden I see this hose hanging down near the transmission: 

AmtPfXXa42K6D1804o26X-XpTkurc3TXPcsmeJTQV9Ir-Lbr1tKKvgJ4sIp2PbwNpJG2-NvuHUdm-KlmsnrimWPuQCi5rUb75nXqGwBIngK13cWPuw7Q8ZnJMed9Jlrx1tacwxvxT6U=w1264-h948-no

Never mind the water, I just got done driving through snow.

I can't quite see where it's attached on the other end and have been searching all over the internet and this forum for answers.  It _might_ be some kind of transmission vent hose... but what I am really curious about is why it suddenly dropped, and _where_ I should put it back to.  Does anyone know how this thing is supposed to be attached?

Judging by the stains on it maybe it was tucked up to the right underneath the exhaust... over that bar on the right?

I couldn't find any conspicuous mounting points or clips or anything.  As far back as I can see, it looks like there is a clip on top of maybe the transmission about 3 feet back along the hose.  Diagrams would be great, if there are any in this amazing tech section of this forum.

Thanks!

Probably the transfer case vent hose. Should be routed above the transmission and attached to the clip you found.

Randy said:
Probably the transfer case vent hose. Should be routed above the transmission and attached to the clip you found.

Yeah it is attached to the clip way back there, but is there supposed to be another clip closer to the dangling end of the hose?

Follow it and make sure the end you see is not suppose to be attached to the transfer case fitting.

One end should be connected to the TC and the other should have a plastic plug/vent on the end and be routed up above the transmission and end somewhere near the firewall.

Not all are years are the same, but yours should be similar to this picture..

Attachments

• Vent line routing.jpg
    Vent line routing.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 69
Randy said:
Follow it and make sure the end you see is not suppose to be attached to the transfer case fitting.

One end should be connected to the TC and the other should have a plastic plug/vent on the end and be routed up above the transmission and end somewhere near the firewall.

Not all are years are the same, but yours should be similar to this picture..

Definitely not the transfer case vent hose, that one is still connected and is on the opposite side of the transmission.  This one just goes up and up and I can't really see where it ends.  I do see the transfer case vent hose is attached to the transfer case and goes up it looks like past the firewall to vent into the engine compartment behind/below the intake manifold.  Wish I could get a better photo.  Tried, but no luck, the pictures all are uninformative.  I'll keep digging around...

I think it's one end of the transmission vent hose... shoving my hand up there it feels like it's connected to a T-connector, one side going to the transmission, the other going up who knows where, and this side going down to the street... I just tied it up out of the way so it's not so low.

Like I said they all years are not the same. Does it connect to the transmission?

Randy said:
Like I said they all years are not the same. Does it connect to the transmission?

It's hard to tell because the connection point is way up barely within reach, but I think it is attached to the transmission by the bottom part of the T.

Back