• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Heated Steering Wheel Fuse Location

LjAvtech

SM 2022
PM 2021
Just purchased a 2013 CA Blockdiamond Edition. The heated steering wheel is inop. The lighted switch does NOT com on when depressed. Where is the fuse, first step in determining if it?s electrical or mechanical ( bad steering wheel element).
TIA!

Also looking for a source other than Chevy for the round climate control assemblies. The plastic coating has chipped off and I?d like to replace them. Theses are the round switches where the left one is 4 sepetate buttons in assembly and the right is the same.

Thank you.

Here is an option for the HVAC buttons that wear out.

https://www.amazon.com/Button-Replacement-Stickers-Select-Vehicles/dp/B07KRMKHGW/

I've read good things but haven't tried it myself yet

Check fuse #48 Aux HVAC-IGN.

If fuse is good, pull the wheel and test for power and then continuity in the heating element circuit. .
heatedsteering1.png

Brainman,
Thankyou for the lead on the climate control button stickers. Just overlaid 4 buttons and it looks factory!! Much appreciated.
The sticker pack came in pack if 2, easy install.
Thanks again
Eric

The steering wheel was shorted and took out the on/off switch. Can?t find one locally. New the assembly is $549.  :mad:
Guess I?ll invest in a good pair of gortex@ gloves at Cabelas. Not many Avalanches put out to pasture to rob a steering wheel assembly.
Also trying to find a DVD/CD unit for the NAV unit. Mine isn?t reading the disk.

Thanks again!

Thought I might have a heated steering wheel on my 2013 Black Diamond. Didn't check codes glovebox. Noticed one day wheel got warm. Noticed a switch next to cruise control stuff with light. Couldn't get it to turn on with any combination of heated seats switches, etc. Looked in 1" think owners manual. Couldn't find anything. Read about fuse above. Fuse OK. The with ignition switch on and car not running, pressed switch - it worked. So now I think if you get in and want heated steering wheel, you put ignition switch on but do not start. I'll keep doing that to confirm the particular combination of events allowing it to come on. The wheel gets nice and warm. Whew, ## computer stuff. Everybody, please have a great Christmas season safely. Thank you.

Thought I might have a heated steering wheel on my 2013 Black Diamond. Didn't check codes glovebox. Noticed one day wheel got warm. Noticed a switch next to cruise control stuff with light. Couldn't get it to turn on with any combination of heated seats switches, etc. Looked in 1" think owners manual. Couldn't find anything. Read about fuse above. Fuse OK. The with ignition switch on and car not running, pressed switch - it worked. So now I think if you get in and want heated steering wheel, you put ignition switch on but do not start. I'll keep doing that to confirm the particular combination of events allowing it to come on. The wheel gets nice and warm. Whew, ## computer stuff. Everybody, please have a great Christmas season safely. Thank you.
It's supposed to come on via the button on the steering wheel when the truck is started. It's interesting that it's only working if you go through the steps.

Just saw your reply, Kirby. Several days of doing different tests. If I turn on the key switch but don't start the Ava, then press the heated steering wheel switch, light comes on. When I start the truck, the light goes off and stays off even thought I press the switch again. when the machine is running, I can not get the light to come on no matter what I do. I would believe heater is broken if I never had it come on. But as I say, one day I accidently bumped od did something that caused it to come on and the wheel got toasty.
Interesting tha I could not find anything in the operators manual about it.
Guess I'll have to look at the maintenance manual/ schematics for more clues.
Is there anybody out there that actually used this feature regularly?
I hope to get it set in this forum so I get an email when somone answers or makes a post to one that I have started or posted in.
Ughhh! Having another R^m & Koke!

I hope to get it set in this forum so I get an email when somone answers or makes a post to one that I have started or posted in.
Click your account profile at the top, click preferences, and then review the 'receive a notification when someone...' section. It's super handy to get email's on replies to threads you've posted in.

Just saw your reply, Kirby. Several days of doing different tests. If I turn on the key switch but don't start the Ava, then press the heated steering wheel switch, light comes on. When I start the truck, the light goes off and stays off even thought I press the switch again. when the machine is running, I can not get the light to come on no matter what I do. I would believe heater is broken if I never had it come on. But as I say, one day I accidently bumped od did something that caused it to come on and the wheel got toasty.
Interesting tha I could not find anything in the operators manual about it.
Guess I'll have to look at the maintenance manual/ schematics for more clues.
Is there anybody out there that actually used this feature regularly?
Ughhh! Having another R^m & Koke!
I use it all winter.

The entire system consists Heated Wheel -> Clock Spring -> Inline 7.5V Fuse on Hot -> Plug into Wiring Harness.

Click your account profile at the top, click preferences, and then review the 'receive a notification when someone...' section. It's super handy to get email's on replies to threads you've posted in.
Have now done it. I really appreciate your help !
Merry Merry !

I have a 2012 Avalanche. Steering wheel heater started smoking when turned on for 2 minutes.
Stopped smoking when switched off. Anyone know exactly where fuse is ? I assume this would
not be an inexpensive thing to replace?

I have a 2012 Avalanche. Steering wheel heater started smoking when turned on for 2 minutes.
Stopped smoking when switched off. Anyone know exactly where fuse is ? I assume this would
not be an inexpensive thing to replace?
I would not replace the fuse until you sort out why the steering wheel smoked.

But if it's like the prior gen, there is an inline fuse in the wiring behind the kick panel, above driver's feet. See this video for reference. I briefly looked through a 2012 owner's manual and didn't see the fuse referenced (totally could have overlooked it though), which makes me think it may still be inline on a 2012.

Bainman, thank you for your response. I took Avalanche to Chevy dealer and they verified sort in heating element in the wheel. They quoted $1,400.00 to repair. I declined. I cannot afford that cost. I asked them if they could disable the heater instead. They declined. I now want to just locate a fuse, that only disables the steering wheel heater, and forget about having a heated wheel.

Bainman, thank you for your response. I took Avalanche to Chevy dealer and they verified sort in heating element in the wheel. They quoted $1,400.00 to repair. I declined. I cannot afford that cost. I asked them if they could disable the heater instead. They declined. I now want to just locate a fuse, that only disables the steering wheel heater, and forget about having a heated wheel.
Is it not the fuse described in the video?

And if you want to have a remove the fuse, you'd likely have better luck at an independent shop since the dealer declined.

Back