• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Clock resetting and truck not starting

Johnboat

:help: Hey folks, thanks for letting me join. I'm dealing with a frustrating issue with my 07 Avalanche. Last November my battery died so I had it replaced. Since then my time on my car stereo keeps resetting to 12:00 1/1/2004. That's not the big deal, the big deal is occasionally it won't start and I have to get it jumped.

My first thought was the alternator, I had that tested, it's fine. Then I took it back to the place I got the battery, they tested the battery, it was fine, but putting out more CCA than what it's rated for (which seemed strange). They then kept it for the day and did a full electronics system test, which passed with no issues found. They also checked for corrosion and cleaned and tightened cables.

Since then the clock reset again. I've been researching this online and it seems it could be a number of different issues it could be and I wanted to join this forum and get your opinion.

I really appreciate any feedback.
Thanks!

You either have a bad ground somewhere in your dash, your ignition switch (the actual switch, not the key cylinder) is bad, or you have a bad battery cable.

I would to this in the order of less hassle... The fact your radio keeps resetting means you have an electrical problem.

Easiest thing to check would be the grounds. If your truck is setup the same as first gen there should be a series of grounds attached to the frame rail under the drivers seat under the truck.  There are grounds in the dash its self but not sure exactly where they all would be..

Next thing is consider doing the big 3 upgrade. This would ensure your battery cables are truly good. And give you a little better performance for your electrical service. 
Basically new, larger ground cable to the block, from the block to the firewall, A larger wire from the battery to the battery distribution center. Possibly a bigger wire from alternator to the battery and from battery to the starter.

And then the ignition switch... Although the Ignition switch could easily be moved up to the second location.

Rodney

Johnboat said:
Thanks. Isn't it strange it started after getting a new battery?
Sounds like installation error (poor connection) or faulty battery when you say that...

Back