• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Drop it like it's hot

Mentholized

Hey Guys,

Thought I'd share some tidbits about my newest project for the AVY.  I've really been trying to keep up with the maintenance on it and the house and haven't had a lot of time to do anything 'extra'.  The wife has been complaining about the 'leveling' kit i put on it a few years ago due to her knee replacements, so I took that off.  The nerf bar bracket on the passenger side broke, so it was time to remove those hideous things and buy some parts. 

Started out with 3" drop springs, shock extenders for the back, and lowering keys for the front.  Install was a breeze.  I love my battery powered impact tool and if that can't do it, I can get er done with breaker bars and the such.  Couple of issues though in the back for now.  1. Tailpipe is hitting the axle.  After hitting speed bumps several times, I don't think that's an issue anymore.  2.  Factory bump stops and bump stop bracket.  Well, I quickly figured out the bump stops in the rear are smooshed and took them out and cut them in 1/4.  That's still causing some clunking so I took a grinder and recip saw to the bracket on the drivers side and was able to get that done in less than an hour.  It started raining and has been since, so it's half way done.  Still need to do the drivers side when the weather cooperates. 

The rear sway bar is looking pretty rough right now.  It's all cock-eyed because of the lift.  It that going to be an issue?  I don't think so, but figured I'd ask.  The sway bar and linkages will be replaced soon enough.

Front was a breeze, like I said.  The torsion keys from the leveling kit came off pretty easily and the new keys were cranked all the way up to get a good baseline for the truck.  I'll take a measurement early next week and make some modifications to it.  Wondering if I should try and put the the factory rake back on, or just leave it leveled. 

Future plans: smaller bump stops for the rear, sway bar and link for the rear.  DJM suspension is where i've been getting my items from.  I pretty sure i'll be taking the upper and lower control arms route in the front so my alignment can be perfect.  After all that, I'll be replacing the shocks as well.  The monroe shocks were built for trails and since it's dropped I won't be needing that anymore.

I wanted to post this, but obviously left out photos and measurements.  That'll come soon.

Wifey can get in and out of the truck much better now and she's even been driving it more since then.  Now... I need 24" rims, body kit, underglow, the transformer tonneau cover, ha ha ha.

Picturessss

dont like lowering kits myself but I've been considering it to reduce drag but I don't know if it really makes a difference. Project truck maybe.

Alright. Photos up.

Original 37" in front  39" in rear.  Well, that was after I had loosened up the 'leveling' keys and removed the extras in back. 

Now it's 33" in front and 34" in the back.  Wow.  What a difference these parts made.  I ended up taking the keys about half way out to get a little rake and a little more on the passenger side to get it about even. 

Anyone know why the passenger side is higher than the drivers?  I have a good inch difference front and back.  I figured it had something to do with the gas tank, but it can't be that, can it?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/PEjtVMxboujQzqBo9

Yes gas tank is more on driver side so it sets lower in general, then on a used vehicle you need to account for the fact that most vehicles always have a driver in them but may only have passengers on a part time basis so springs and shocks have more weight on them. You could have your saddlebags unevenly loaded down too.

I hear ya.  Sounds like my spare tire, which is in my trunk instead of under due to rust destroying the old rim, may be part of the culprit.  I think it's closer to the drivers side.  I let a little extra out of the front passenger side and it's pretty close now.  May have to tinker with the rear some more when i put the rear kit/links on.

Back