• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Pre-made under seat subwoofer enclosure

ARES1307

Hello everybody. :wave: Are there any pre-made enclosures that fit under the seat and allow the seats to lay flat so the midgate is still functional?  :help:I'm looking for enclosures to throw a couple of Shallow 10-in subwoofers in, but I'm on a budget so getting one custom made is outside of my wallets reach ATM. And I don't have the tools or experience to make one myself. I'm trying to track down the box first so I know what size of subs to buy. Any help is greatly appreciated.

I think you'll find that any under seat sub box will prevent the seats from laying completely flat. If you lay your rear seats down, is there any physical room to place a sub box?  However you could still lay the seat backs down and resting on the sub box, and the midgate should open most of the way. 

Check out this thread
https://www.chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php?topic=41680.0

Thank you for your reply and for the link. That would be plenty for me I think I found one sub box that looks like it should open most of the way for under $100. Now I just need to narrow down the subs, with 5.5 mount depth or less and at .8 cf air space. Any suggestions? I'm leaning towards Skar VD10, because they're super cheap. I was also looking at ID 10s, Dayton HOs, and Sundown e10s... But I have no experience with any of those and honestly hadn't heard of any of those before a week ago. Any advisor experience here would be more than welcome.

ARES1307 said:
with 5.5 mount depth or less and at .8 cf air space.  I'm leaning towards Skar VD10, because they're super cheap. I was also looking at ID 10s, Dayton HOs, and Sundown e10s... But I have no experience with any of those and honestly hadn't heard of any of those before a week ago. Any advisor experience here would be more than welcome.
The e10s will hammer for what they are, especially compared to others at the same pricepoint, I don't think they have a mounting depth less than 5.5" though. I'd double check that as I built a box for a behind the seat application and I'm pretty sure we needed 6" to just clear the magnet. They may not be a viable option for you if you're locked into a pre-built with only 5.5" depth

You are right the mount depth on the e10 is 5 and 5/8... I'm going to try and find a bigger box... I could have swore I saw one that had a 5.75 mounting depth..

I haven't found anything with the mounting depth higher than 5.5 that's made for the avalanche. What if I add an extender though? Would that make it work?

If not I'll have to go with the Dayton HO or Skar VD. I'm hoping to make the e10s work everything I've heard about them makes them seem perfect for me.

I actually just got back from having it installed. The boxes that we were looking at were all down firing and none of them would fit the EV3 and leave enough room for it to move so we put a dual sub box under my seat with a couple of JL 10W1s. After listening to them for a little while, they sounded great but they just weren't enough for me. so we scavenged through the boxes that my installer had and found one made for a different kind of truck but it fit under my seat. We had to take the plastic off the bottom of my seat for both boxes. That box with a .75 inch spacer fit my Sundown EV3 10. It sounds awesome. It feels like it hits harder than both of the JL's. But I ended up ordering a second EV3 and a mid-gate box. That's going to be a few weeks out though because of how rual we are and how far apart the orders are, and because I'm too cheap to pay for $200 shipping.  :eek: Lol. Sorry for how sloppily this is written blame it on talk to text.

ARES1307 said:
I actually just got back from having it installed. The boxes that we were looking at were all down firing and none of them would fit the EV3 and leave enough room for it to move so we put a dual sub box under my seat with a couple of JL 10W1s. After listening to them for a little while, they sounded great but they just weren't enough for me. so we scavenged through the boxes that my installer had and found one made for a different kind of truck but it fit under my seat. We had to take the plastic off the bottom of my seat for both boxes. That box with a .75 inch spacer fit my Sundown EV3 10. It sounds awesome. It feels like it hits harder than both of the JL's. But I ended up ordering a second EV3 and a mid-gate box. That's going to be a few weeks out though because of how rual we are and how far apart the orders are, and because I'm too cheap to pay for $200 shipping.  :eek: Lol. Sorry for how sloppily this is written blame it on talk to text.

So with this set up you retained the function of the midgate? I want to add some sounds but I don't want to remove the function of the midgate. I use that for work too much. Do you have any pics you can share?

Hey y’all, I’m looking for the same answer. Would love to add a sub or two on the floor under the seat but want to retain 100% functionality of the midgate. I’ve only got the dual 6.5 speakers on the doors plus the A-pillar tweeters and I suppose with good set of those I could create a good sound field but I think the sub(s) would help. Any solutions? Thanks folks!

There is no box the retains "100% functionality". Lay your seat down and drop the midgate, you will see that there is only about an inch and a half of space between the seat and floor. There are pre-fab boxes that allow midgate use, but the seatbacks and subsequently the midgate will remain angled upward at the top/edge toward the front seats.

There is no box the retains "100% functionality". Lay your seat down and drop the midgate, you will see that there is only about an inch and a half of space between the seat and floor. There are pre-fab boxes that allow midgate use, but the seatbacks and subsequently the midgate will remain angled upward at the top/edge toward the front seats.
As @Calicak89 stated, no box will retain 100% functionality. I had a custom box made for my '02 and the mid gate would function, but there was a noticeable incline.

Subs.jpg

Fiberglass_AMP_CAP_cover2.jpg

Midgate_Test3.jpg

As @Calicak89 stated, no box will retain 100% functionality. I had a custom box made for my '02 and the mid gate would function, but there was a noticeable incline.

Subs.jpg

Fiberglass_AMP_CAP_cover2.jpg

Midgate_Test3.jpg
Hey Loggie, I’m not nit picking or anything, but the photos you have here looks like the Amp rack is the only thing keeping the mid gate from full operation. I’m not saying this to be an ass, but really it’s more of a question, I want to build a cabinet into the bottom of my seats like that. Did you build this out yourself or custom shop?

This was built at a shop in germany. This was the last fit test we ended up with to allow the best option for it to lay flat as it could while allowing for a nice finish

Back