• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Cost estimate to replace a Rear-End Differential?

MillionMileAvy

Took the 2012 Avy LTZ(117K miles) to the mechanic after loud bangs and some grinding / scraping sounds on cornering, coming from the rear-end.  I was informed the gears on one side of rear differential were basically worn smooth and this was causing significant play.  The service tech recommended a full rear differential replacement, where even a rebuilt(1 yr warranty) was going to cost $2900 including labor. 
Not sure why this happened, as he said there was plenty of fluid in the differential.  My user name reflects the fact I have driven about 1 million miles in 4 different Avy's going back to 2001...  and I have never experienced this problem in the past. 
Is this a reasonable quote on the rear diff replacement?  Any other recommendations on what options I have hereor should explore?

I had my rear end rebuilt this past summer and had a true track installed.  I need to check my receipts this evening.  It was either around $2,600 or ,$1,500.  Don't remember which bill was which but based on timing I'm thinking it was the $2,600 repair.  It was done at an independent transmission shop.

I had a rear end in a Suburban completely rebuilt at a dealer for somewhat less than $2000 years ago.

I am reasonably certain I saw no worn "smooth" parts in my destroyed rear end.

Chunks and ruffage were more the case.

I went on to put another 100K miles on that truck after the rebuild, with no complaints.

get second estimate and have them show you what is wrong.

"SMOOTH" not sure what that means.

When these things go the GRENADE and parts and peices all over inside pumpkin

Junk yard rear ends are about $400 around here but you don't know what your getting... And still has to be installed.

Back