• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Can someone help with using the cargo panel strap?

Annona

Hi guys,

I'm having a hard time getting the strap to work. I can't even get past the 1st step, Lol.
I've attached a photo of the instruction diagram label that's sewn on the strap. Also there's a photo of the strap itself.
Step 1 is to hook up the thin, horizontal strap. But, no matter how hard I try to stretch it, the clips on the ends just can't reach the hooks in the bed. My hooks also look different than those in the diagram.
I bought the strap after I got the truck (MY 2011), so maybe Chevrolet made different straps for different model years, or generations of AV? Any of you 2nd gen owner use your strap? Does yours look like what I have?

Thanks,

rGSRcbU.jpg

W3mnOrv.jpg

RCaH0AT.jpg

It's been years since I have tried the strap system to hold the bed panels. The diagram you are showing in step one has the first gen movable tie-down loop so it's a drawing error. The second gen Avs has the non-moveable tie-down loops like in your photo of your 2011.
From what I remember you need to adjust the single strap as long as possible and pull it tight to fit, then you need to study the #2 section and make sure you have all three panels in right position and order so the nest correctly in order for straps to fit,they too will be tight. I think some owners even used small bungee cords to extend the strap length to work.If not used often the straps may need to stretch out some for use.
Other owners searched for first gen panel bag and used it instead of straps. Other owners just stack panels in the garage and only install them when needed or temp use they stack them in cab against back of  front seats for short trips.

I have seen where others have had difficulty getting these straps to reach.

I recall one owner solved his fitment issue by using a carabiner to add extra length.

You may want to also search for the storage bag that came with the first generation Avalanches and EXT's.

The straps are built into the storage bags.

I do not know if the straps will fit any better than the ones you have now, but having them built in just helps you keep up with things.

When I bought my EXT used, it was missing the storage bag.

I found one on eBay for $50 and I have seen them being sold on there many times over the years.

BedPanelBagMounted-02_zpse80e2b70.JPG

Thank you both for your help.
I usually have the panels installed, so this was just a test fit to see if I could strap them to the side of the bed.

I do not carry my panel bag in my truck.

It stays in the hall closet in my house.

Too cumbersome.

If I need an open bed, I leave my panels stacked against the wall in my garage.

I am not interested in leaving my bed panels nicely bagged up in my truck bed for someone to see and cart off.

You will never get the strap to fit without adding something.

Go purchase two "quick links" at a home improvement store and add them to the two inside tie downs. The smallest back strap will stretch across the length without the need for the quick links so attach that one normally. It's a tight fit but it does make it.

Once you've done that, attach the two left inside straps. Now go ahead and slide the panels into place according to the order in the diagram. Even with the straps extended it will still be an extremely tight fit and the panels will push up against the rain gutters. If you'd prefer to have it even looser you can add two more "quick links" on the tie downs near the tailgate.

If this was the warmer season I'd grab some photos of my setup as I still use the storage straps on many occasions.

Back