• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Anybody lower their 4wd?

yellow04nfe

So I've been on hiatus here, long story, lol. So first feel free to call me crazy, but i want to go low instead of high. I have a crew cab pickup if i want to go high. I expect I'll lose some ride quality, but it's not my only vehicle to drive. Just wondering if anyone here has done it and how it turned out. Looking at the 3/5 kit. Also wouldn't be opposed to air suspension if anyone has done that?

I think I have read over the years of several members lowering their AVs but don't remember many with 4wd doing it.......
I used to be sort of critical of taking an off-road 4x4 designed vehicle and lowering it to just be stylish and thereby loosing some of it's 4x4 capabilities. Since getting older and having family members with mobility issues I can see some advantage to a lowering kit.
Anything can be done with enough time,tools and money it's all a matter of if you can afford to start the possible chain link effect of altering stock design parts that were designed together and changing drive-train, steering, as well as suspension geometry.
On a collector's standpoint if you truly have a yellow 2004 North Face Edition AV it would be a shame to alter it to where you may lower it's value and make it hard to convert back to stock for a purist collector. (just my .02 though.)

I realize it's kinda rare. But not a lot of avalanche collectors lol. I want to make a bad ass hotrod out of it. Got an lq4 and 4l80 sitting in the shop for it and plan on a big turbo. And want it to handle like my camaro. I've seen magazine articles about lowering it. Just hoping to hear from someone that's actually done it

Look in this section and scroll back others have done it for probably every year made.

Does this help? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UGtrXqurOc

Vaeagleav said:
I think I have read over the years of several members lowering their AVs but don't remember many with 4wd doing it.......
I used to be sort of critical of taking an off-road 4x4 designed vehicle and lowering it to just be stylish and thereby loosing some of it's 4x4 capabilities. Since getting older and having family members with mobility issues I can see some advantage to a lowering kit.
Anything can be done with enough time,tools and money it's all a matter of if you can afford to start the possible chain link effect of altering stock design parts that were designed together and changing drive-train, steering, as well as suspension geometry.
On a collector's standpoint if you truly have a yellow 2004 North Face Edition AV it would be a shame to alter it to where you may lower it's value and make it hard to convert back to stock for a purist collector. (just my .02 though.)

Blue Devil did it with his '04 He had. He hasn't been on this site in years and I know for a fact that He sold that truck quite a long time ago. I'm pretty sure Flabouy had his supercharged nekkid one lowered a little also.

I've lowered mine with a 2" drop bracket in front and 3" springs and hardware kit in the back.

What I've learned: (mines a 2003 cladded for reference)

1. Do not use torsion keys, they will destroy the ride quality.
2. Drop brackets will make it where you need to cut the end of the upper ball joint. 17" rims will not fit anymore.
2. If you're lowering the back, also put in the 'hardware kit' from DJM. Ride quality, bottoming out, ect. HUGE difference.
3. Shock relocation brackets will work, but I wouldn't depend on them long term. Replace the shocks with recommended shocks.
4. Be prepared to spend more than you planned on replacing other parts. Unless you're not like me and can put worn out/damaged parts back on the truck. I spent extra $$ on lower ball joint, inner and outer tie rods, front sway bar links, cv axle, wheel bearings, rear sway bar hardware, shocks on all 4, rims and tires.
5. Depending on different things, each install is different and unique. Not having the right tools will cost you trips to the store, or headache trying to get it right.

I've lowered mine with a 2" drop bracket in front and 3" springs and hardware kit in the back.

What I've learned: (mines a 2003 cladded for reference)

1. Do not use torsion keys, they will destroy the ride quality.
2. Drop brackets will make it where you need to cut the end of the upper ball joint. 17" rims will not fit anymore.
2. If you're lowering the back, also put in the 'hardware kit' from DJM. Ride quality, bottoming out, ect. HUGE difference.
3. Shock relocation brackets will work, but I wouldn't depend on them long term. Replace the shocks with recommended shocks.
4. Be prepared to spend more than you planned on replacing other parts. Unless you're not like me and can put worn out/damaged parts back on the truck. I spent extra $$ on lower ball joint, inner and outer tie rods, front sway bar links, cv axle, wheel bearings, rear sway bar hardware, shocks on all 4, rims and tires.
5. Depending on different things, each install is different and unique. Not having the right tools will cost you trips to the store, or headache trying to get it right.

You have any pictures? I was also considering lowering mine. Is there anything that would allowed me to change the ride height with remote or switch?

It's in my plans to lower my 08 Avalanche 4x4. As I understand it the ride quality is near to the same with a 2"-3" or 2"-4" drop. It's also been highly recommended to invest in a djm hardware kit for the rear. This removes the stock bump stops and replaces them with new units that attach directly to the bottom of the frame.
I've also read online (take that for what it is) that lowering these particular trucks takes some of the angle out of the front driveline...the theory is that it reduces wear by a little bit and adds some better handling. Depending on the drop, you can still tow.

The kit is "easy" to install, takes a few hours. So plan to devote part of a Saturday. I second the idea of new shocks with the drop, it will ride higher at first, but will settle out after some miles.

Last edited:
I realize it's kinda rare. But not a lot of avalanche collectors lol. I want to make a bad ass hotrod out of it. Got an lq4 and 4l80 sitting in the shop for it and plan on a big turbo. And want it to handle like my camaro. I've seen magazine articles about lowering it. Just hoping to hear from someone that's actually done it
The 4WDs are a little heavier than the two-wheel drive Avalanches, and get worse fuel mileage already.. So Not only would you be defacing a collector's edition truck, but you would automatically be at a disadvantage from the start. My suggestion would be to sell or trade your four-wheel drive for a two-wheel drive. I'm sure there there are numerous Avalanche owners out there willing to make such a trade, especially since it's a custom Edition truck. For the amount of money you will spend adding performance to this truck, you will get a lot farther with a 2 wheel drive single cab Silverado.

Back