• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Oil Pressure Transmitter Issue -

Blender

Thought I would share this , I have an 2011 Avalanche,
Bought a year ago at 110,000 miles , now at 131,000
The Low Oil Light came on and the Pressure dropped to Zero, Chime going off and Messaging me to stop and turn off engine. No bad engine sounds though. I was due for an Oil Change and was a bit low in oil, added a couple quarts, to get home, raised it  20 PSI  but problem quickly came back
I looked this issue up on the previous posts and found what I suspected, Common problem on the 5.3, the oil pressure transmitter and associated screen needed replacing.
I ordered the parts, including the special socket, I was going out of town and they would be there when I got home.
I had added a quart of Engine Treatment to flush sludge out.  I am using mobile One synthetic and I drove a while with it in there and it immediately helped the problem, but didn't solve it. Pressure was higher but still between 20-30 PSI vs 37 to 45 PSI it had been.
When I got back in Town I did  Oil and Filter Change before changing the Pressure transmitter and filter screen. That Oil was BLACK after running the Flush a while.

After the Oil Change the pressure was higher than ever, It runs normally now between 40-60 PSI and I didn't change the pressure transmitter or Filter, Partially because it really looks like a PITA to reach.

Thanks for sharing.
It reaches 60 psi with engine temperature warmed up (at 210)? Or do you mean while cold?

Sorry was travelling a bunch -- 60 PSI at Start, Cold and stays about 45 after warmed up.

Perfect, thanks! 60psi hot would be abnormal. Glad all is well, good work Blender.

Back