• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Moving from ma to fl

lynnboy021

2002 north face... I will be towing a 22ft camper from ma to Florida and I want to know that once in the highway can I switch back to overdrive? The highway will be mostly flat and I really want that extra gear to also to save on gas... what you guys think? Will I do something to the trans if I drive with od off?

If you don't have an owner's manual for your AV you should check out the Resources section of this website for a PDF of your 2002 Manual,
especially sections 2-34 and 2-35 about gearing and then the section 4-60 that explains the Tow/Haul function control on your AV.....
https://www.chevyavalanchefanclub.com/assets/files/resources/model-years/owner-manuals/2002-chevy-avalanche-owners-manual.pdf

ya might not save gas though towing in OD.... as engine might be lugging more and not efficient...

HOw much does Camper Weigh??

I will say this once you get on interstate try it and see what happens....
Then report back when you make it for others to leanr from your experience

On my 2004 EXT, the transmission shifts to OD while the Tow/Haul is active.

As far as I can tell, the only difference is the shift points are moved to a higher RPM to better take better advantage of the engine's horsepower and torque ranges.

I have towed my 25' Party Barge that weighs 5K pounds with the trailer, fuel and gear at highway speeds for hundreds of miles in Tow/Haul overdrive.

As long as I am on fairly level highway with steady speed, the transmission runs in OD and the torque converter is locked up.

BUT, it doesn't take much of a change in the road's inclination for the transmission to drop back a gear.

While out on the open highway, I often set the Tow/Haul mode and cruise control and let the truck do it's thing.

If the transmission gets too shifty, I throttle manually to keep it from bouncing around too much.

My main concern is the transmission temperature.

My truck has a trans temp gauge in the cluster and the optional auxiliary transmission oil cooler installed.

I usually see the transmission temp run 10-20 degrees higher than when not towing, and this has not been an issue yet.

And I mostly only tow this rig during the heat of summer with the a/c running full blast.

Driving your truck in Tow/Haul mode and selecting Drive is not going to hurt a thing.

For me, gas mileage is a minor concern when towing.

I know it's going to be bad.

normal_EXTandPARTYBARGE1~0.JPG

Back