• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Confused about head unit fitting

Mr.G

:help:  I have been looking at a few Kenwood and alpine head units.

Issue is that cruchfield says a unit will not fit but Kenwood and alpine says  they will
Which site do I go by.

George

Did Crutchfield say why they would not fit? Will extra parts be needed such as a new dash bezel or electrical adapter?

Just my .02 but I would trust Crutchfield since they not only sell products but do installs too. They even had an Avalanche as a model in their catalog several years ago. That way if things don't work out you deal just with them and tell them "you said all the parts would fit!" You also don't mention which year and model AV you have or the exact model of head units you are checking out so it will be hard for anyone on this site to give a good answer to you.

Vaeagleav said:
Did Crutchfield say why they would not fit? Will extra parts be needed such as a new dash bezel or electrical adapter?

Just my .02 but I would trust Crutchfield since they not only sell products but do installs too. They even had an Avalanche as a model in their catalog several years ago. That way if things don't work out you deal just with them and tell them "you said all the parts would fit!" You also don't mention which year and model AV you have or the exact model of head units you are checking out so it will be hard for anyone on this site to give a good answer to you.

Sorry about that Vaeagleav:

I was looking at the Kenwood DNX9980HD into my 2007 Avalanche LT, Crutchfield says it will not fit, but it is the same unit that White Lighting put it into his 2008 LT, is there a difference between the 2007 & 08?

I'm still waiting to see if White Lighting did any mods to fit it in.

Thanks
George

No difference between 2007 and 2008 unless one had Bose system from factory and the other one didn't also stock head unit v. factory nav unit might have differences too.
I don't know if you just used the Crutchfield website model selection program or you actually emailed or talked on the phone to customer service....I am old school and would call them on the phone to answer all questions and talk to a real person myself. They will want to know exactly what you have for current features and what new and improved features are important to you in order to build just the right setup for you.

"FIT" on crutchfield means you slide it in and it bolts right up no modification to truck.

ygmn said:
"FIT" on crutchfield means you slide it in and it bolts right up no modification to truck.
This is true.  Possibly they mean that you have to modify the area behind the head unit for clearance (which is common on GM).

So I have decided on the Alpine ilx-207 Head unit with HD Radio and Nav, getting a free install kit with the unit.also getting the ADS Maestro ADS-MRR iDataLink Steering Wheel Interface w/HRN-RR-GM5 T Harness, will also be replacing the speakers sense the rear ones are gone (deteriorated)

nice, need to look into upgrading mine as well.  post pic when you are have it installed  (y)

So I changed my mind due to alpine unit actually did not have what was advertised so change the head unit to the Kenwood DDX6904S last year unit but had everything I wanted in a head unit at a great price $378.00 with backup camera and liked the way it looks. Everything else is the same. Will post pictures when I figure out how to. After all is done and working

Mr.G said:
So I changed my mind due to alpine unit actually did not have what was advertised so change the head unit to the Kenwood DDX6904S last year unit but had everything I wanted in a head unit at a great price $378.00 with backup camera and liked the way it looks. Everything else is the same. Will post pictures when I figure out how to. After all is done and working

I know you have to have x amount of post count in order to load pix.  looking froward to seeing the pix (y)

Mr.G said:
.... Will post pictures when I figure out how to. ...

We are all eagerly awaiting the installation of some much needed new forum software.

The features described so far indicate a much more user friendly environment, so hopefully posting pictures will become quite easy.

I, for one, am looking forward to that.

So, stick around and get your pictures ready for posting.

Looking forward to seeing what you got.

(y)

While I have a lot of respect for Crutchfield and have spent more money there than I care to admit, they are pretty conservative about "fit" information. I was advised that a Pioneer DMH-WT7600NEX (floating display, single DIN chassis) would not physically fit, but it's installed in my dash now.

Granted, I did do a very minor modification to the plastic piece that ties the two sides of the radio cavity together to assure ample space for the cooling fan exhaust, but that took 5 minutes. I also invested time customizing a double DIN to single DIN installation kit (Scosche) because I did not want the storage nook that would be obscured by the display and I did want extra volume in the radio cavity for all the extra wiring, Metra kit, etc.

Bottom line, Crutchfield's "will" or "will not" fit is dependent upon your creativity and resolve to make it happen.

The new radio, by the way, is amazing compared to the old Delco/Bose Nav unit.

Back