Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We're changing forum software! Read the details here.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: CAFCNA is transitioning to new forum software  (Read 374 times)

ca2kjet

• WebMaster
  • something secret steers us
CAFCNA is transitioning to new forum software
« on: March 10, 2020, 19:29:32 PM »

Update as of March 27, 2020 - The world decided to fall over and I got pulled with it. As one of the IT professionals overwhelmed with quickly turning employees into remote workers (among a million other things), the original schedule for upgrading the forum got thrown right out the window. As soon as things settle down, I'll be moving ahead with this upgrade.

Tentatively scheduled for Friday, March 27, 2020 *

* This website is run by volunteers. That means work and personal life can cause the scheduled date to change at any time. When itís best to do it, it shall be done.

The Chevy Avalanche Fan Club of North Americaís forums are being moved to a completely new type of forum software. When we switch to the new software the current forums will be down for an extended period of time. We hope the process will take no more than 4-6 hours but due to the scale and complexity involved with migrating, it will be done when itís done.

Whatís going to change?

A lot, but donít be too worried. The overall functions of the forum will remain the same. Your accounts, threads, posts, private messages and more will be carried over.

Will it look different?

Yes, the new forums will be very different compared to now. The new forum will initially have a default theme and in time will be updated to match the rest of the website.

The new forum will be much easier to navigate and provides a number of helpful features to keep you up to date on posts youíre watching, browse the latest posts and even get alerts right on your cellphone.

The new forum is on par with modern web applications that many tech savvy and even general users have become accustomed to. That means more and better functionality, easier access and use on mobile devices and a host of features that we hope will make posting easier than ever.

Are any changes being made to the gallery?

Yes. This transition will end the use of our current gallery. The new software has its own gallery system that we hope to import the current gallery content into. Please be aware that the current gallery is not being migrated at this time. Access to view the old gallery is expected to continue but you will not be able to upload to it. The gallery is a separate project that we will handle as soon as possible.

Will premium membership still exist?

At this time we expect to carry over member badges to the new software. While CAFCNA administration is discussing options, no official decision has been made whether to continue or discontinue premium membership.

Hey, [insert item] is missing on the new forum!

Yep, it probably is. With so much in flux thereís bound to be a number of things out of place. Our custom smileys, for example, may require an extra hand to migrate over. Weíll get it all straightened out in time.

A personal note from the webmaster;

As a passionate owner of a Chevy Avalanche who wants to keep his truck going for as long as possible, so too, do I want to see this website continue to live on. While some members may be taken aback to this change, it is being done out of necessity. Our current forum is showing its age (both visually and technically) and while some may have no issues using it thereís the simple reality of system supportability. Weíre pushing the limits on our current forum and the longer we wait the harder it will be to keep it going.

Hang on tight, because itís going to be a bumpy ride from here on out! See you at the end of the trail!
« Last Edit: March 27, 2020, 12:08:03 PM by ca2kjet »

Black on Black - 2007 Avalanche 4x4 LT3 Z71

ygmn

• Administrator
  • Insert Funny Text Here _______________ .
Re: CAFCNA is transitioning to new forum software
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2020, 06:02:21 AM »

This will be a great thing for the forum, club and website...

I am told the younger generation and facebook users will be happier as well as you Cell phone users.

Our webmaster has used bandages, bailing wire, duct tape and all sorts of othr tricks to keep this current software running.
To reduce his burden and protect our future this change is required.

As always Advertising and SPAM crushing features are important... especially the more I check out other forums, youtube, facebook etc where you get spmmed to death that it takes away from the experience.

I have confidence in this change and think everyone will appreciate our webmasters efforts very soon.

so thanks!
Thread Killer ... After I post they die?
2002 Pewter Z66 - Sept 2001
CAFCNA Album
LSU BABY!
YANKEES BABY!
SAINTS BABY!

ygmn

• Administrator
  • Insert Funny Text Here _______________ .
Re: CAFCNA is transitioning to new forum software
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2020, 08:59:51 AM »

Little Reminder peeps read first post.
Thread Killer ... After I post they die?
2002 Pewter Z66 - Sept 2001
CAFCNA Album
LSU BABY!
YANKEES BABY!
SAINTS BABY!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.214 seconds with 23 queries.