• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

My wiper broke?

Oxcart

I think the ice broke my right side wiper arm. When I turn the wipers on, the driver side works fine, the passenger side just sits there. Is the linkage broke? How do I fix?

There is a mechanism under the windshield cowling that they call the windshield wiper transmission.

It is the set of bars and swivel points that attaches to the wiper motor and provides the back and forth motion for your wipers.

Something with that may be broken or the splined shaft that the wiper arm attaches to may no longer be connected properly to the wiper arm assembly.

Turn on the wipers and see if you can determine if the transmission is working as intended.

I would image if one of the arms of the transmission were broken, it would make a lot of racket when the wipers were turned on.

With the wipers turned off, grab the broken wiper arm and see if it moves freely from the rest of the wiper assembly.

Hopefully, just replacing the wiper arm assembly will fix your issue.

could be wiper arm slipping on shaft.

Remove arm and turn on.
Does shaft rotate back and forth
YES = get new arm
NO = ARGGGGGgggggggg need to look at linkages underneath

Back