• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Trying to determine realistic price

efduffer

Thinking of selling my 13 LTZ. But the prices are all over the place when looking online and KBB doesn't really seem to offer much insight when weighing against dealer trade-in. So I'm looking for a  start/ask number on mine before deciding whether to go for it. Looking for honest opinions. Fairly certain I can get more than the dealer trade-in, just not sure what is realistic.

Specifics:
2013 Black Diamond LTZ
Silver Ice Metallic exterior
Titanium interior with heated/ventilated front
5.3L/6-sp
20" Chrome 5-spokes
Sun/moonroof
DVD/HDD/Navigation/RSE
66,500 mileage
Mechanically sound, no issues

Other:
Garage kept
Non-smoker
Dealer maintained

Cosmetic items:
Front and rear bumper covers have some spots (nickel-sized or less) that a 2-day trip to a body shop could fix <$500
Driver seat has that same problem most do with wearing on the lower bolster
That stale smell the vents blow out the first few minutes

efduffer said:
Thinking of selling my 13 LTZ. But the prices are all over the place when looking online and KBB doesn't really seem to offer much insight when weighing against dealer trade-in. So I'm looking for a  start/ask number on mine before deciding whether to go for it. Looking for honest opinions. Fairly certain I can get more than the dealer trade-in, just not sure what is realistic.

Specifics:
2013 Black Diamond LTZ
5.3L/6-sp
20" Chrome 5-spokes
Sun/moonroof
DVD/HDD/Navigation/RSE
66,500 mileage

Other:
Garage kept
Non-smoker
Dealer maintained

Cosmetic items:
Front and rear bumper covers have some spots (nickel-sized or less) that a 2-day trip to a body shop could fix <$500

what is going to kill you is the price they can be picked up at auction.  I would take a look at carmax and autotempest as they are close to what you should be able to get at a private sell

i'd guess 23k to 26k

https://www.autotempest.com/results?make=chevrolet&model=avalanche&zip=01801&minyear=2013&maxyear=2013&maxmiles=66000&keywords=LTZ

My 2006 had about 33K miles and was in immaculate shape. It was the last year of the first generation. However, for some strange reason I thought it would be cool to own the last year of the second generation. I bought a 2013 last year, so I have been learning a lot about them. Mine came from a private seller about five hours from me...second owner. We went on NADA and used the price from that site with options, went to the bank together, and did the paperwork. Since that time, I have watched the prices go way down each month...I now owe more than the 2013 is worth. Thankfully, I only took a three-year loan.

I bought my 2006 brand new from the dealer and just sold it a couple of months ago after 14 years...because I had already bought the 2013 and couldn't keep two and had the loan on the 2013. Someone from the northeast called me up and really wanted my truck, and put a deposit on it just so I would not sell it to anyone else. He and his wife came down here and picked it up, and thankfully he takes very good care of it. After 14 years it was heartbreaking to watch it drive down the street with someone else at the wheel. I still miss that truck...especially the longer I drive the 2013.

Because 2013 was the last year they made the Av, people rushed to buy them, and because it was not a cheap truck, there were a lot of 72-month and 84-month loans. Doing them math, we are now in 2020, and those loans are up, so people are truck shopping again...especially with huge deals on the new Silverados. Therefore, the market is now flooded with them. In addition, everyone is now competing with the Internet, dealers selling online, and companies like Carvana, which are all driving values down.

The other things I have learned  about the 2013 from owning one is that unlike the first generation Avs where we used to keep our trucks for long periods of time, people are not holding onto the second generation ones as long for three reasons:

1) The post GM-bankruptcy fit and finish is not as good as evidenced by the curling handles and cracked dashes
2) There are also safety issues related to dashes cracking because that is where the airbags are mounted
3) GM focused more on gas mileage than power/torque/towing in the second generation, moving away from the higher gear ratios and mostly to the 3.08s with increased active fuel management (AFM).

Normally, I am an optimist, but if I sound a bit discouraged, it is because I am...and if I had to do it all over again, I would have kept my rare 2006 and never bought the 2013. My advice is to sell yours quickly because the prices keep dropping. I recommend looking at NADA. Truecar.com also has fair pricing metrics you can see for others.

The things that really helped me sell my Av, in addition to the ultra rare bermuda blue color and the fact it was a southern vehicle that had never been driven in snow or ice, were the extremely low mileage and it was in awesome condition with no real blemishes. I definitely babied that thing. The painted-to-match Snugtop helped too...the new buyer really liked that.

Based on your description, the big thing you have going for you is your mileage, plus the fact that the silver ice metallic is a rare color for the 2013, so that may help too. If it is less than 500 bucks to get the blemishes painted, I would recommend going ahead and doing that if it is possible. For the smell, you can replace the cabin air filter and use some Ozium. It might also be worth getting a good professional detail. Have you had any problems with the dash cracking or door handles curling? What about underneath, is there any rust?

Tom

(please excuse any typos...it is late here and I am wiped out from work)

Ah the old seller has an emotional attachment but more than likely the buyer doesn't story... >:D
You see an almost perfect truck with only a few minor things wrong that would be an easy fix. A potential buyer may see it as a neglected truck with things to fix and things like matching 7 year old sliver paint could be tough. It also has an aged navigation/stereo system that may not have all the bells and whistles that a buyer may want.
As a general rule you will get more money selling on your own v. trade-in but it may take a long time and may not be worth the hassle. In this economy how hard would it be for a buyer to get a loan on a 7 year old vehicle with such high unemployment rates? Not to mention the late night drunk phone calls, people calling as a prank or to set you up for a scam or even car jacking.......
I would trust the pricing on www.kbb.com and www.edmunds.com more then some unknown on the internet giving you an out of the blue price tag. How do you you know they aren't messing with you? Or things can change like gas prices, weather etc. than can have an effect in your area.
I would follow others advice in getting a price from those companies that will buy your AV outright and consider using it to negotiate as a trade for a new vehicle.
Just my .02 but I would NOT sell a vehicle on my own now unless it was to a very trusted buyer....

Ask what you want.

Consider what they'll give.

See if either is willing to budge.

Take it or leave it.

I tend to drive mine until they are practically worthless.

Then, I don't feel too bad when they offer me a token amount to take it off of my hands..

Here is the link to an LTZ with almost the same miles as yours:

https://www.jdpower.com/detail/2013/chevrolet/avalanche-1500/joplin-mo/3gntkge7xdg176505

One more thing to consider when it comes to trading vs buying/selling. If you trade, then you may not have to pay tax on the value of what you trade. For example, if you buy a $40K truck and trade the Av for $20K, then your tax would only be on $20K. However if you buy a $40K truck without trading, then you pay the tax on the entire amount. This is something to think about.

This is something I know from experience. Because I paid the entire amount for the 2013, before selling my 20006, I got hit with a good sized tax bill when registering the 2013. When I did sell the 2006, I was not able to recoup any of that.

Tom

efduffer said:

Specifics:
2013 Black Diamond LTZ
5.3L/6-sp
20" Chrome 5-spokes
Sun/moonroof
DVD/HDD/Navigation/RSE
66,500 mileage

Other:
Garage kept
Non-smoker
Dealer maintained

Cosmetic items:

Couldnt get more than 500 bucks for it. But since I'm a nice guy I'll give you six. ???

Thanks for the feedback. Tested the waters a bit before making a decision. In the end, trade-in was the route I went after evaluating the effort and potential sale price vs trade-in and tax savings on a new purchase.
I was targeting a Yukon Denali as a replacement but wound up getting an new Escalade for cheaper. Mind boggling.

I see Avalanches everywhere now and it makes me a bit sad.

She's up for sale now:  https://www.tompeacockcadillac.com/VehicleDetails/used-2013-Chevrolet-Avalanche-LTZ-Houston-TX/4460881283

Congrats on the Escalade. The discounts on new vehicles is crazy right now.

I didn't realize you were in the Houston area...so I am I. Where are you located?

TexAvFan works near me. We should all have a GTG sometime...after COVID is cleared up.

Tom

Back