• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

2002 Avalanche Wheels Spinning (like a brake stand) Without My Foot On The Gas

motoxmama

Hi, I have a 2002 Chevy avalanche 2 Wheel Dr. 1500. Yesterday I hitched my trailer to the truck  and when I put the truck in drive to move the trailer without putting my foot on the gas the rear wheels started to spin as if I were doing a brake stand but without my foot on the gas pedal. It doesn?t stop. I have to shift the truck through all the gears grind it through reverse to get it to park to stop spinning the tires. So because I thought maybe my foot was on the gas I did it again and started the truck back up an hour later threw it in gear and it did the same thing so I had to grind through reverse  to get it to park. It also does it in reverse and spins the  wheels backwards without putting my foot on the gas. Any idea what would be causing this?

motoxmama said:
Hi, I have a 2002 Chevy avalanche 2 Wheel Dr. 1500. Yesterday I hitched my trailer to the truck  and when I put the truck in drive to move the trailer without putting my foot on the gas the rear wheels started to spin as if I were doing a brake stand but without my foot on the gas pedal.
Was your foot on the brake when you shifted the truck to Drive?
Without actually seeing what is going on there, I'd say that the rear brakes are not working for some reason.
Anyway, it's not unusual for the vehicle to move without the gas pedal when it is shifted into gear. Sounds like a brake issue.

CarMech1969

If I am reading this correctly, you are saying you are getting unintentional acceleration when you drop the transmission into gear.

My understanding is the 2002 Avalanches are the only model that came with a traditional throttle cable between the pedal and the throttle body on the engine.

From 2003 forward, these trucks used a drive-by-wire system that does not use a throttle cable.

How does the engine respond to changes in throttle while the truck is in Park?

You should be able to watch the change in throttle position even when the engine is turned off on a cable driven throttle body.

Have someone observe how the throttle is responding from both the pedal and when you drop the transmission into gear without the engine running.

I am having a difficult time understanding how the throttle cable could be moved by dropping the transmission out of Park and into gear.

EARLY 2002 had throttle cable - made before June 2001 they also had EGR.
Weird ones that were running old tech.

If tires spinning is the truck moving then?
Kinda dangerous.
Does it have some sort of BRAKE controller that is maybe not wired properly?

Back