• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

P0641 (5V Reference Circuit 1)

tpham32

Hey everyone! I am new to the forum here. I asked the Facebook group but they weren't very helpful much. I have been chasing the dreaded "Reduce Engine Power" and "Service Stabilitrak" message on my 2011 LTZ 4x4 for a while now. When it first started, I replaced my TPS and cleaned the throttle body, then I recently replaced the oil pressure sensor and filter but eventually, the DTCs came back.

The other day, the truck was idling in my driveway and I noticed the oil pressure gauge would start to fluctuate and eventually drop down towards 20, then the "Low Oil Pressure" warning would come on. Shortly after, the whole truck cut off. I was able to scan the code and it read the P0335 (Crankshaft Position Sensor "A" circuit. That is the only time this has shown up. That probably explains why I could not start the truck up again. I had to disconnect the battery to reset the computer.

Many of the other "low oil pressure" occurrences, I was able to shut the truck off and start it back again with the oil pressure back to normal again. 

The most common DTC I get is this P0641. I strongly believe I have a short somewhere but I have looked and I could not find a damaged wire or harness anywhere. These are the things that I have tried/done:

1) Replaced throttle body position sensor and check 5v reference
2) Replaced oil pressure sensor and check 5v reference
3) Checked 5v reference at the accelerator pedal
4) Checked 5v reference at the MAP sensor
5) Inspected as many grounds around the engine that I could find
6) Inspected the wire harness for contact points and any damage

So I am lost at the moment, I am not sure what else to look for. Any advice would be appreciated, thank you!

When you replaced the oil pressure sensor did you replace the screen under it. How many miles on it.

sure you do not have oil pressure issue due to AFM and those oil valves to control the lifters?

ygmn said:
sure you do not have oil pressure issue due to AFM and those oil valves to control the lifters?

How can I verify that? I had the AFM tuned out a while back? Would the issue you prescribed through the P0461 code? Out of 40,000 miles, I can only remember losing oil pressure like that 3 times. 1 being a very long time ago, and 2 being a twice in a day earlier this week.

I'm not sure what kind of test equipment you have that is able to read the sensor So this will tell you what is on each circuit.

Attachments

• p0641.JPG
    p0641.JPG
    112.4 KB · Views: 18
Have you attempted to use a manual oil pressure gauge to verify the actual oil pressure?

Back