• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Anyone modify their midgate to 60/40?

Raidmagic

Anyone mod it so they can leave one seat up and still put long lumber in there? I have times where I'm getting 2x4's and have more than 2 people with me. I thought it'd be cool to modify it so I could leave the one seat alone and just fold down the other seat and that portion of the gate. Thoughts?

It's been done.

There are some Youtubes that show the process.

It's not something I would ever consider.

Best of luck with your project.

There is also an old thread around here somewhere from a member that did it.  Would have been a cool factory option but leakage was too mu h of a concern.

There was a thread in the GM talk back future and vision section where someone suggested a split midgate and a GM engineer replied that water leaks and trying to get a good seal would be a problem as well as issues with locking the midgate in place when up etc. and that was why GM never made one.
I believe somewhere else someone put in a boat hatch type opening so a few long items could be stuck through, never saw any long term info on leaks or durability.

I remember a post about cutting a access hole in the midgate with a hinge  on it

MS03 2500 said:
I remember a post about cutting a access hole in the midgate with a hinge  on it
yeah,it's on page two of three of this section.  I was looking earlier but didn'thave a chance to find the thread and post a link here. Just look on the second or third page

Vaeagleav said:
There was a thread in the GM talk back future and vision section where someone suggested a split midgate and a GM engineer replied that water leaks and trying to get a good seal would be a problem as well as issues with locking the midgate in place when up etc. and that was why GM never made one.
I believe somewhere else someone put in a boat hatch type opening so a few long items could be stuck through, never saw any long term info on leaks or durability.

Leaks were my concern as well. The idea of a hatch came to mind too. Wouldn't need much. Thank for all the info guys.

Boat Hatch will work

Back