• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Headlight restoration - success!

BainMan

I used the 3M headlight restoration kit, which worked out better than expected for under $20. Consider this before replacing the assembly! Of course you can do this by hand with the appropriate grit paper, but the kit with Velcro backed sandpaper and supplies just made it simpler. https://www.amazon.com/3M-39008-Headlight-Restoration-System/dp/B001AIZ5HY/

Before: This lens had seen some tough times
a4QYNCW.jpg

after 500 grit sandpaper
Z9kek61.jpg

800 grit
UB60z6K.jpg

3000 grit
gHjvbb1.jpg

Finally, after polishing compound
XTpHtWD.jpg

I suppose the drivers headlight was replaced at some point before, it looks new while the passenger side looked terrible before. check it out now though! I waxed it, as per instructions after the last picture and I'm curious to see it in the sun again tomorrow. 

FYI... does not last
Seems to go cloudy quicker....

My suggestion.... after what you did..

clean it with Dawn
Wipe down with paint prep to remove oils etc...

Then apply automotive clear coat.... helps fight UV and last longer.

Yeah, what he said.  I've done this on my 01 Bimmer a few times and finally opted for new lenses.  Too much effort for a fix that doesn't last.  That being said, it does look good.

That looks good.

When I last did this on the headlights of my EXT, I found a lot of the haze was on the INSIDE of the lens.

I'm guessing my next move would be to buy new headlight housings.

I polished the headlights on our 2006 CTS right before I traded it off.

I'm sure the frosted headlights would not have added to the trade in value very much.

It looked like new when I last saw it.

I wonder what they look like now.

(y)

I was afraid of that, weighing my options between the clear coat and headlight clear vinyl wrap by 3m. I really like the look of the lens and hope to keep it for a while.

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B0728HQ3J7/

Back