• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Sealed Power Cam Bearing fitment.

Vegas Avy

I drive a 2004 Chevy Avalanche base, 4x4, With the 5.3 LM7. I'm in the process of rebuilding the engine, and we just finished cleaning up all the parts and started to put the cam bearings in so we can finish cleaning the block, and after test fitting the cam with only two bearings in, It damn near seizes in place and becomes hard to even remove, let alone turn. So we mic'ed the old bearings to make sure they were the correct replacement (supposed to be direct replacement. No +/-) I noticed that the journals on the new cam bearings are 10 1000ths larger than the old cam bearings. New ones were .366, old were .356. I figure some of this can be due to the Crush from installing them, but .01 seems like a lot.

We could scrape the bearing down, but with as tight as they are, I don't want to remove too much of the Babbitt material and find myself in the same position of having to replace them again before I would If they fit. Is this a problem with Sealed power bearings? Do they run tight? I didnt get +/- because they werent spun, just worn, and I'm installing a new TSP 220r cam. But the cam journals are the same as stock, so I don't know what gives. Any advice? Is it normal and I just need to scrape them and not worry about it? Or should I try to exchange them before it's too late?

:help:

Back