• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

EVERYTHING plug Converter 7 pin to 4

CountyPaintball

I apologize if this has already been discussed, but I did a search and couldn't find it. Basically, my two trailers each have a 4 pin wiring connector. My Av has a 7 pin connection. What adapter do I need and where can I get one? Thank you.

Mike

pepboys walmart etc etc have 7 pin to 4 pin adapters.....

What YGMM said.

I got mine at VIP Auto Parts was $9.00 bucks. I store my adapter in the the jack handle cargo net.

GM sells one for like $18, but is identical to the Reese and Hoppy brand adapters in quality, looks and function.

SpottyJ

Thank you. I appreciate the fast response. My main concern was that there might be more than one kind. If any "7 to 4 pin converter" will work, then I should be good to go. Thank you.

Mike

the U HAul dealerships are a great resource for receivers, hitch balls, hitch pins, plugs, adaptors, etc. Reasonably priced too.

Not their PR guy... just an observer ;D

Do you have a factory hitch or aftermarket....

I got a replacement 7 pin plug, that also has a 4 pin in the faceplate.... if you go into my picture trail link in my sig, and then to My Av pics.... there is a pic of this....

The reason I asked is this will not fit the factory trailer plug mounting point.... mine is aftermarket so it was a direct bolt on.... as soon as the weather cools down I am going to cut this into the bumper... if you want to do some modding and relocate the plug to the bumper and cut off the factory pug mount, which will also help you if you do much off roading, (many have bent the bracket), then this may be a route for you to go...

Grey_Av

BTW... cost... roughly 24 bucks at walmart... costs more then an adaptor... but I never have to look for/worry about loosing an adaptor...

danlwil said:
the U HAul dealerships are a great resource for receivers, hitch balls, hitch pins, plugs, adaptors, etc. Reasonably priced too.

Not their PR guy... just an observer ;D

No offense but I disagree. If you're gonna spend money on hitch stuff spend it on the best stuff and you won't find it at the U-Haul dealer. Your truck can tow a lot more than the factory hitch is good for (safely anyway - it's a round tube assembly - it's not as strong as a square tube). Find a reputable hitch place near you. And try not to go to a U-Haul dealer.

Grey_Av said:
Do you have a factory hitch or aftermarket....

The reason I asked is this will not fit the factory trailer plug mounting point....
Grey_Av

I have the factory installed trailering hitch on my 2500. Will the standard 7 to 4 pin convertor work? The ones I can buy at Pep Boys, etc. as stated by other people in this thread.

Mike

Towing capacities aside, U-haul is a fine place to get something like a 7-4 adapter. I got one from there just yesterday for $14. Walmart is cheaper, but the product in this particular case from U-haul was of better quality to me.

Now as far as recommending against U-haul, I can't personally do that, at least when comparing to Walmart or Pep Boys and the like and here's why...they have to tools that I don't have. I simply needed a ball mount and 2" ball to tow a small utility trailer. They can put the two together with the proper tools and their prices are reasonable (comparable to walmart). Yes the mount/ball are only good for 5K lb, but if I were planning on towing more than that I'd be going to a towing place for the "real deal". In my case, the convenience and relative know-how of the staff at U-haul (at least the one I went to) was right for my situation.

Just my $.02 :)

One more thing...I'm not goint to be surprised by missing fuses or anything with my '03, right? I mean, when I plug in tomorrow the lights are gonna work, right?

CountyPaintball said:
I have the factory installed trailering hitch on my 2500. Will the standard 7 to 4 pin convertor work? The ones I can buy at Pep Boys, etc. as stated by other people in this thread.

Mike

YES trailer plugs have a standard...4 pin 5 pin 6 pin and 7 pin....they all have to meet a standard......

And why is square stronger than round?

Shape has nothing to do with it.....strength for bending comes from a term called moment of inertia and then the doistance to the outer strand which a is a function of shape and outside dimensions.......so do not lwet anyone ever tell you one shape is stronger than another....shape is just a small portion of the equation as wall thickness and over all dimensions and material will come into play.

O

CountyPaintball said:

Mike

Yes, a standard 7 to 4 pin will work, I had one before, and used it all the time. Shop around a bit.... some places sell them for 15 bucks or more.... some sell it for 8 bucks....

RichUF said:
One more thing...I'm not goint to be surprised by missing fuses or anything with my '03, right? I mean, when I plug in tomorrow the lights are gonna work, right?

there is one fuse missing in the '03.... ;D but if you are towing with a 4 pin.... you wont ever notice....

The fuse supplies 12 V constant power to the trailer, so if you have a travel trailer, this charges the batteries on the trailer...

Or if you have a 7 pin to 12 V outlet adaptor... the fuse is needed as well....

Apparently, it wasn't as simple as buying a "7 to 4 pin converter". I went to PepBoys and bought the 7 to 4 they had there. When I got home and opened the package, it turns out the adapter I got is for 7 rounded pins. My Avalanche came with 7 flat pins. They have the same circular pattern, but it's now a matter of flat pins vs rounded. The 4 pin part looks right though.

Back to Pep Boys to return this part and hopefully find the one I need.

Just something to be aware of if you're looking for the same thing.

Mike

I have been getting conflicting reports about whether or not my 03 Z71 should have come from the dealer with the 7 wire to 4 wire trailering adapter and the electric brake connector? Does anyone wanna chime in and tell me if they got these items? Thanks...

Tim

The brake controler did not come in the '03's.
The 7 to 4 came in none.
There are several threads about this, here's one:

http://www.chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php?board=19;action=display;threadid=8735;start=0

Here is what you get.

2002 AV:
Brake Controller: NONE
7 to 4 harness: Provided
Brake Controller Wiring Harness: Provided
Brake Controller Fuse: Provided

2003 AV;
Brake Controller: NONE
7 to 4 harness: NONE
Brake Controller Wiring Harness: NONE
Brake Controller Fuse: Some did some did not

danlwil said:
I went to U Haul to get a DrawTite 18384 that plugs in behind the 7 prong plug so you can use either one, or wire in a LOF, and the U Haul guys insisted that I should have gotten a 7 to 4 from the factory/dealer. They even went out to my Av and looked through it - even though it was 3 weeks old and I had been through it THOROUGHLY. They said they were out of the part I needed and weren't very interested in getting it for me.

I also went to the local store of a large national trailer dealer and they didn't have the DrawTite part either. They said DrawTite parts take "forever" to get in when they are special ordered. Their definition of forever is 2-3 weeks. I didn't order it; I have been looking everywhere I can think of to get it locally.

Just my $0.02...

Tim

TimInOhio said:
I went to U Haul to get a DrawTite 18384 that plugs in behind the 7 prong plug so you can use either one, or wire in a LOF, and the U Haul guys insisted that I should have gotten a 7 to 4 from the factory/dealer. They even went out to my Av and looked through it - even though it was 3 weeks old and I had been through it THOROUGHLY. They said they were out of the part I needed and weren't very interested in getting it for me.

I also went to the local store of a large national trailer dealer and they didn't have the DrawTite part either. They said DrawTite parts take "forever" to get in when they are special ordered. Their definition of forever is 2-3 weeks. I didn't order it; I have been looking everywhere I can think of to get it locally.

Just my $0.02...

Tim

very stange...they are available everywhere down here...lots of boating and stuff I guess may be why.

HEADS UP ON THE U-HAUL 7-4 adapter...The one U-Haul carries has two rows of the "4" connections fused together, not sure why...maybe for using the pins on their trailers? So if your trailer-side male connector has a weather sheath it won't fit properly. You'll either have to trim one side of the sheath or get creative some other way. I bought a 12" extension for a couple bucks that didn't have the sheath as I was in a pinch, but had I not been I may have just returned the U-haul one and gotten the walmart one.

Otherwise it worked fine.

Rich

I had to get my sled from the dealer today, so I ran down to WalMart and got a piece that plugs into the 7 way, and then you plug in your 4 way from the trailer. It's not a wire extension, but just a plug. Since I can't find the Draw Tite or similar part I want, this will work in a pinch. I also saw a neat plug receptacle that had the 7 way and the 4 way BOTH molded into the face. If you are using a trailer with the 7 way, you lift up the cover on the 7 way plug and plug in the trailer. Using a trailer with the 4 way? Uncover the 4 way plug and plug in the trailer. It is a neat part, but it would require removing the factory piece. Or, it would be the part of choice if you don't have the factory one installed. However, I can't recall what brand it was...

I had problems with the adapters so I put a 7 pin on my trailer to advoid using adapters. The prongs on the adapter bent and made poor contact and kept blowing fuses.

TimInOhio said:
If you are using a trailer with the 7 way, you lift up the cover on the 7 way plug and plug in the trailer. Using a trailer with the 4 way? Uncover the 4 way plug and plug in the trailer. It is a neat part, but it would require removing the factory piece. Or, it would be the part of choice if you don't have the factory one installed. However, I can't recall what brand it was...
Sounds like Hoppy part number 40955, in the neightborhood of $24.

Grey_Av has spoken about it here: http://www.chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php?board=16;action=display;threadid=5915;start=msg250829#msg250829

This is the pic he posted in that thread:
Grey_Av said:
hitch_plug.jpg
It sure is a nice looking solution. Even though I did get one of the 7 to 4 pin adapters from the factory on my '02, instead of that I wish this connector (or something equivalent) was standard on our trucks.

cadboy1 said:
I had problems with the adapters so I put a 7 pin on my trailer to advoid using adapters. The prongs on the adapter bent and made poor contact and kept blowing fuses.
I also have had problems with making a good connection with the 4 pin plug: the runnning lights don't come on to full intensity at first, it takes a minute or two for it to burn through the oxidation before they work right. Once that happens, they are reliable, but it still bothers me: I am constantly looking back there to make sure the lights are still on. Fortunately, the clearance lights on the front of the fenders are easy to see in the mirrors, so it's not hard to check.

Unfortunately, the trailer isn't mine, it belongs to the boy scout troop, so changing the plug is not an option for me. :6:

-- SS

[quote author=ShapeShifter

I also have had problems with making a good connection with the 4 pin plug: the runnning lights don't come on to full intensity at first, it takes a minute or two for it to burn through the oxidation before they work right. Once that happens, they are reliable, but it still bothers me: I am constantly looking back there to make sure the lights are still on. Fortunately, the clearance lights on the front of the fenders are easy to see in the mirrors, so it's not hard to check.

Unfortunately, the trailer isn't mine, it belongs to the boy scout troop, so changing the plug is not an option for me. :6:

-- SS

Thats how I first noticed. The orange marker light on the front of the trailer. Now even though I have the 7 pin on trailer, I still find myself always checking in the mirrors. The day I picked up my "new" trailer, the plug was all corroded.

Back