• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Mirror electronics problem?

R

Redhat

Anyone hear of problems with the rearview mirror electronics? This is a 2003 Av 2500 with the OnStar, temp, compass in the mirror.

No problem, for the first 1500 miles. The past few days it's been snowing like crazy (yeah the truck is great fun in the snow ;D ). It could be the snow, or maybe the first time the temp has gotten down to the mid-20s, or maybe it was the ICE indicator that came up in place of the temperature.

I was driving in traffic both times this happened so I couldn't watch it too carefully, but what I think happend is that the word ICE blinked on and caught my attention. Then after a few seconds the mirror 'reset' (that's the best way to describe it.) All of the lights went out for a second or two, then every light came on - 188 on the temp plus lots of little symbols. Then everything was normal for a few seconds. Then the word ICE appeared again and the 'reset' cycle happened again.

The first time it happened only two or three times. The next day, after a couple of hours driving with no problem, the ICE/reset/normal cycle happened over and over for about 5 minutes, then stopped.

At first I thought it was really trying hard to attract my attention to the ICE warning. But then it should have left the word ICE up while the other lights blinked.

Anyone else seen this?

This sounds strange.........I would go see what the dealer says and I bet they replace mirror

HTH

I haven't experienced these problems, but I am very disappointed in the temperature sensor on the mirror. Mine registers the windchill of the moving vehicle. The temperature rises and falls as I increase and lower the speed of the vehicle. So far it has been worthless for detecting ICE conditions.

sounds like a plug may not be seated correctly. if it is going through the recycle phase it might be losing power, then gaining it again. just a thought. ???

acole1 said:
I haven't experienced these problems, but I am very disappointed in the temperature sensor on the mirror. Mine registers the windchill of the moving vehicle. The temperature rises and falls as I increase and lower the speed of the vehicle. So far it has been worthless for detecting ICE conditions.

Welcome.....to the club

I have not heard anyone say it changes with driving speed other then when stopped it rises due to engine temp raising air temp around the sensor....

Maybe you have a problem.....? Has a dealer look at the system?

I have had almost the exact same problem. When I got my AV back in Feb, I would be driving home from work at 5am. Something with the mirror would catch my eye, not sure what, and I would watch it "reset" like Redhat said. It would do it about 5 min into my drive. I kept trying to figure out what was causing it but I was never looking right at it just before it happened. Come to think of it, since the weather has gotten warmer I have not noticed it "reset" like that.

What I notice now is that the when I get in at night, the airbag notification will be dimmed, like it should be. I will be driving down the road and something with the mirror catches my eye and the airbag notification will be at 100% brightness. Then sometimes it will go back to normal, sometimes not.

As a side note, my AV is a 03 1500 with OnStar. I guess I will have the dealer look at it during my next oil change.

I recently bought a 2003 Avalanche 1500, without the OnStar. About 2 weeks later on the rearview mirror I noticed the green light on but the compass & temperature both out and has not came back on since. I'm a Av Newbie, anyone else got suggestions, know a affordable replacement link?  :help: :wave: :wave: 

See if you accidentally turned off the display, there are 3 buttons on the front one of them turns the display on an off

This issue can likely be repaired as well. I had mine repaired when my display went out. Was a $60 repair. The Dimming mirrors with onstar are somewhat expensive.

:cool:Haven't had the chance to check it out but wanted to say thanks ahead of time for taking the time to help to all. Nothing like a NETWORK of WISDOM. I'll try & hopefully get the chance to PAY IT FORWARD. . :wave:

:B:

MS03 2500 said:
See if you accidentally turned off the display, there are 3 buttons on the front one of them turns the display on an off

Yep what he said, I have the same mirror and you can toggle different displays.

If it does not turn on, there are two resistors that need to be resoldered on the board, save yourself some money and open it up and look for joints that are dull looking and hit them with soldering iron. Hope this helped.  R.

Ok finally got a break and a chance to toy around with my rearview mirror issue. What I noticed was there was a slot that looked like a button was supposed to be there on the far right side of the mirror. I took a small tool and probed in the slotted area. to my  surprise :laugh: the compass and temperature display came back on. So I'm thinking either this is where the actually on/off button was or as mentioned before there's something that needs re-soldering. that presents the decision to attempt repair or checkout eBay, amazon & others to replace. Thanks for info and insight. CAFCNA turns Challenges into Opportunity! :D

Back