• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

New 12V audio gear at CES

DS

SM 2008
SM 2007
SM 2006
SM 2005
SM 2004
SM 2003
CES this year should provide we audio-lovers with some decent new gear this year, if no major innovations. I suppose some would consider DVD-A a major innovation in a car, but I'm in the camp that smirks and snarls at this "new" format. Anyway, here's a little of what I've heard in the woodwork so far.......

Alpine:
Alpine is responsible for one respectable innovation with their 9820XM, which is an indash receiver with an integrated XM receiver, that is supposed to sell for $349-379, which is a bargain compared to the current head units' prices combined with a $250 XM receiver.

It's rumored that Alpine has a touch screen nav system in the works, I suppose we'll see if that comes to fruition as well.

Alpine is also changing some of their entry level radios to a silver/grey color, and supposedly is starting to lean towards blue lighting on more units as well.
They are releasing new F#1 Status units, the DVI-9990, seen here for anyone who wants a $2500 DVD-A deck in their Av.......
MVC_316S.jpg

Rockford Fosgate:
They are redesigning most of their product line, from what I've heard, everything but the coaxes and wiring lines. The subs and amps are supposedly more beefy looking and better performers and have lost some of their chrome "cheesiness" with the new cosmetics. Hopefully RF will start working on those model numbers and output ratings as well. (For example a 300W RF amp, and Kicker too for that matter, has been rated at only 75x2, rather than the 150Wx2 that a buyer may expect at 4 ohms)

It's too bad we'll never see RF's Denon built head units in the US.

RF has recently beefed up their manpower with Ron Trout as a trainer and Ken Koga as a designer. I met Ken about 10yrs ago and have to say that this man knows what he's doing in car audio, he worked for Cerwin Vega for years and was responsible for the launch of the Stroker subs, which were the big-man-on-the-block in the sub world for years. Hopefully RF will get things straight and prevent themselves from sliding on name recognition alone, as they've done lately.

MB Quart:
Quart is supposedly totally revamped this year as well. A line of amps are supposedly going to be debuted, and hopefully they won't be rebadged RF amp boards.

JL Audio:
Big news for us Av owners is coming with the JL Stealthbox midgate enclosure that holds a pair of 12W3's. JL has also been busy with:
2 new sub lines
A new Premium component line
2 new E series amps

Don't forget that JL is preparing to enter the home theater speaker market as well, hopefully we'll see those at CES as well.

Kicker:
Will Stillwater even show up?? >:D
They successfully lost the wind in their sails several months ago when Mark Eldridge, Gary Biggs and Alma Gates all went over to the JBL camp. Mark and Gary were some of the most winning Expert competitors in history, and Alma Gates was the owner of "the beast", the red Ford Bronco that PPI, then Kicker stuck at events constantly, and was the queen of SPL for quite a while. She finally had so many issues with the trucks lack of performance that it was "retired" to being a booth exhibit that blew people's hair back rather than even being competitive in the SPL world, much less winning.

I'm curious to see if Kicker finally decided to start concentrating on product design rather than paintable heatsinks with tribal designs on them.

Sony and Pioneer have the usual load of new decks, speakers and so on to throw in the mix. Hopefully Sony fired the guy that made the pentagonal Xplod subs and realized that they haven't made a true high performance piece since the death of the Mobile ES line.

I've heard nothing from or about Kenwood or Panasonic so far.

Anyone going to CES, by the way?

I think that we will see some more of the head units with built in hard drives, with price tags that are about half of what they are now. I will be out there also, it should be interesting this year.

I am trying real hard to get to go next year :cautious:. It is a toss up between SEMA and CES.....I believe I will make one. My brother in law is big-time into the SEMA shows. I hope to get to be there with him. >:D

:B:Les :B:

Was going to go, but I give all my installers a trip to Vegas for their bonus and this year they chose to go during the superbowl/ufc instead. Oh well, probably not any different than it has been for the last 20 years. Lot's of boom cars with a zillion watts 50 subs and mega fiberglass work with motorized/neonized amp racks and the minimum of 10 lcd screens throughout the vehicle!! I am excited for the new Vizualogic lineup this year, especially the 9" and the backup cameras. Pioneer has a new in-dash dvd/nav piece all-in-one that looks to be pretty cool. And maybe, just freakin maybe, Kenwood will finally produce the vaunted 915dvd!

Kenwood has three new screens coming out. Alpine's new touch screen WIL NOT DO NAV till next year... They will loose sales till then.
Kenwood and Pioneer will lead the way.. Those with the Kenwood 3100 nav there will be a new disc soon.. More info to follow.......

What I need is a manufacturer to come out with a motorized monitor in either full or half DIN that is just a screen and nothing else.
Anyone seen this yet? I need to put a screen up front but I want it motorized hike my HU. I am going to build a custom fiberglass full center console that will house a sub. I also want to add a monitor to it! My wife thinks this is my pipe dream...I'll show her >:D One day you guys might see my AV in Sport Truck magazine ;D ;D

Yea, Right!

:B:Les :B:

Whats new in the new DVD for the 3100, I'll be getting one on Saturday.
Dave

carriles said:
What I need is a manufacturer to come out with a motorized monitor in either full or half DIN that is just a screen and nothing else.
Anyone seen this yet?

Do a search on Ebay for "Dash LCD" you may even put "motorized" in there too. I found a few. Non motorized are cheap, less than $175. Motorized was, I think $275 or so. Don't know the quality but I bought a Pyle 6" TFT(not the DIN one) and it looks great. I'm presently just sliding it into my lower console opening but am looking at glassing a new console bezel. I just got one from GM parts direct for $40 shipped, to cut up. >:D A buddy will do this for me but I'm thinking of trying it myself. :cool:

Will resin stick to the factory plastic? I need to use the bezel frame, I think, because it's pretty well contoured into the console on the '03s.

I believe that Accelevision has a few models that are motorized screens. Also check out Alpine TME-M790.

Will resin stick to the factory plastic? I need to use the bezel frame, I think, because it's pretty well contoured into the console on the '03s.

Resin has always stuck to factory plastic for me, just do a little surface prep by sandpapering smooth plastics to rough the surface and using some alcohol or min spirits to clean the piece, to ensure there's no surface dust or oils there to cause trouble.

On the subject of Pioneer, they have some units that, unlike what we currently have in their lineup in the US, just ooze with class, like this 2din......
pl_fhp009mdpop.jpg

I have seen a black version of this unit, and heard it may quite possibly head to the US in the near future as a Premier model. It's plain, simple, elegant, no cheesy screens with dolphins swimming by, no 50 tiny useless buttons (Kenwood is the king in this respect); It's just plain and simply nice!..........
pop_deh-p7.jpg

Thanks Glen
I'm getting my 3100 on Monday or Tuesday.

To add to Alpine's list......they are supposed to be building a juggernaut of an SPL sub, dubbed "Type X". I can't imagine Alpine doing very well with it performance-wise, but I'm sure it'll sell due to name brand alone. The competition is stiff in the high output arena with the W7's, GTi's, Brahmas, Elementals and so on.

Back