• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

I wish Sony put this much into audio in the US again.....

DS

SM 2008
SM 2007
SM 2006
SM 2005
SM 2004
SM 2003
This is a video of Sony's latest robotic creations and not car audio related, but since we have several Sony fans around and it is electronic, I thought someone may find it interesting. It's a rather large file, so dialup beware.
These are Sony's "jogging" robots, which gained much attention lately due to the fact that they, unlike Asimo and competitors mechs, can have both feet in the air simultaneously, therefore they can run. You almost forget that those are little bundles of wires, motors and servos at work seeing them dance. Pretty innovative stuff!

Check it out here

Ds As I told you before I did work for SONY for 15 years. And as I said before I will no longer put there RED stuff in my Trucks. I've seen what they could do. Some things that would put the world of auto eletronics on there A$$. But it's the money factor. I remember when MOBILES was MOBILES It was better then the reg line.
Things changed. One day maybe they will care more about TRUE car audio and not the color of there face. Look at ALPINE no funny looking graphics just great sound. Thats what alot of people want...
I remember putting 4 8in subs in the back of a Lincoln LSC for the Pres of SONY. and blowing out the rear window (TRUE) That was sound....Now they buy it becouse it's RED. A year later they come back to me and say that it is not working and that there friends sounds better. I just try to help them the best I can. :E:

Anyway just my .02 Hope I didn't upset anybody (sorry Yak)

Glenn Enkei Av

I feel the same way. I owned two ES processor systems (X1,P1....) in the early 90's, both of which I've since sold and miss now. The ES line still lives in Japan, as the C90 is in their lineup of head units. It's to bad that the US market doesn't embrace audio related techno-gadgets like these more.

Pioneer has done the same thing in the past several years if you noticed. They just did so more discreetly. Remeber the Premier amps several years ago that were quite large, with grey heatsinks and chrome endcaps? Those things were powerhouses, putting out way more than spec'd power, even at 4 ohms, and now look at the Pionner amps :9:. Remember the ODR systems that competed with Sony's ES processor lineup in 93-94? Gone now. Their cost was simply to high for the D2, P1 and P50. Pioneer did make a cheapened version here, the DEXP9 and DEQP9, with lower quality internals, cheaper DAC's and lessened spec compared to their Japanese bretheren. They are even gone now with no replacement. However, Japan just got an updated version of their already superior P70x, the xII,with more to come sometimes in March.

It appears that Alpine is the only one offering a high end solution right now, with the F#1 Status system. It doesn't really do anything for me, since I'm not into 5.1 for the car and mobile video systems. But, at least they sell it, and are expanding on the line for now.

DS said:
This is a video of Sony's latest robotic creations and not car audio related, but since we have several Sony fans around and it is electronic, I thought someone may find it interesting. It's a rather large file, so dialup beware.
These are Sony's "jogging" robots, which gained much attention lately due to the fact that they, unlike Asimo and competitors mechs, can have both feet in the air simultaneously, therefore they can run. You almost forget that those are little bundles of wires, motors and servos at work seeing them dance. Pretty innovative stuff!

Check it out here

Incredible.

DS, i think that its only fair that you put a pos/neg feedback thing under your name to! Personally im tired of hearing your love and devotion to sony. So i give you a big fat "-10" :8:

What DS is talking about is the old SONY when they cared about the sound and NOT the looks. :C: When you saw SONY in reel sound off cars, Now if I go to BIG car audio shows the only thing SONY that I will see is the CDXC90 with the XDP4000 pros, Thats it!

That is to this day a great head unit the only thing that people did not like was that the display was hard to see in daylite.

Glenn Enkei Av

so what you are trying to say that the old sony was the best thing out??? Even in its prime, it was never "the pros top pick". What about Nakimichi? Even in its name change to Eclipse its still cleaner than sony. Im sorry but if you wanna follow some junk line and think its gold, you go right ahead. If you were a professional installer not a number pusher, i might give a thought to your observation. There arent that many people that load their cars up with 10-15 year old equiptment. You know why? because there is still descent brand name equiptment out there. What about zapco? MB Quart? Eclipse? Live in the "now". ;D

In my 18 years of auto electronics I think I know what I am talking about, And so does DS. By the way a few years ago Nak had a $1200.00 cd changer incased in a steel box, Now if you took off that $1000.00 case all you would see is a $200.00 SONY cd changer :eek:..
Yes Nak and others have made some great audio stuff in these past few years. I used to sell them alot, I have to say I had alot of the MB7's come back for jamming.

You are too young to remember the great OLD Sony ES
and the XE$ system. They were some times banned from the sound offs because they would win every time.
Yes they did cost alot but the sound and image was there. I know of a store that had a $20.000 room just for the XES system He had the Alpine too But did not want the F1 because. He said with Sony Es and Xes you had a 3yr Warr Alpine still only had 1yr warr and As I said before with the Sony CDXC90 and the XDP4000
you had more power then the F1 system at 1/4 the price.

Thank you and have a good day JR.....

Ok I have to admit that i dont have 14 years of experiance under my belt, but damn near that. Not to mention i have a guy that works with me and has been competing for way longer than that. PLUS another that is the judge of the year for IASCA. They thought what was said was halirous and cant remember any of the situations that you are reminising about. As for DS.... he does have knowledge, but not real knowledge that you gain from installing every day. He told me what he does for a job and its not related to car audio/video at all! I could care less if he is the moderator of this section, he is not all he makes himself out to be. Hell, he is talking about CES on another thread and all the new stuff out, HE WASENT EVEN THERE!!!! Hes posting pics off the net.. Know who WAS there?? ME! I see the situations every day that he goes on about, some times right, some times wrong. Dont misunderstand what i am getting at, because I do realize that he can answer more questions than some installers that ive seen but you cant act like he is the word in car audio. Ive seen a few instances where his advice was off and i will admit that you cant be right every time. All i want you to know is that we are SOOO TIRED of hearing about !!SONY!! Im not the only one.

LOL......Arrivalanche, you're too much! I had a long reply in mind, but decided it wasn't worth the time and trouble.

I will reply to this quote though.......
that is the judge of the year for IASCA. They thought what was said was halirous and cant remember any of the situations that you are reminising about.

My reply is, YEAH RIGHT!
Your JotY should know that an all Sony car won 2nd in UltraX 601+ last year. It's the install that counts, not the name. Once you accept that fact, which I know it's hard to starting out with a shop pumping certain brands being "best", you'll have learned a lot.

For the record, once again I DON'T HAVE SONY GEAR IN MY CAR!!!!! (But i'd certainly take it ;D)

enkeiavalanche said:
After 15 years of working for Sony I could give you some GOOD storys >:D

I have a SONY HEAD UNIT (MP3 player) only, :C: BUT THE REST screams " INFINITY and ROCKFORD FOSGATE in da HOWSE !"

;)

For your information, im not pushing any brands at all. my shop sells sony, and it makes me imbarrassed by the way it sounds. ok dont get me wrong, there are worse brands, and many of them. but sony is not a good choice if you had the money to spend. its a entry level line for people that just want anything to replace there stock setup. and im sorry but no one remembers sonys glory days in vegas, because believe me i ask anyone that would remember. and anyways why are we talking about "back in the days"? What do you guys like that is out now?? because i know that myself, it hard to pick just one brand.

I've worked in broadcast video for 7 years and Sony is the ONLY way! For consumer or prosumer its ok - but for PRO video, SONY is the ONLY way.

My AV guy/shop refuses to use Sony. He said they had too many complaints. If anyone asks for Sony, he sends them straight to Best Buy. The Sony packages now are all just fluffy marketing, not the same quality, IMHO. In the 80's, my buddies and I stufck to Sony products for our open-field auto Bass contests (I live in Miami, aka Basstown). Our Sony equipment and MTX and EV speakers would win all the time, unless it was to another stronger Sony or Alpine.

Arrival, as far as the good, economical stuff that's out now, I would dare say:
Amps- Alpine, Rockford Fosgate, Kicker, Polk (if u can find it)
HU- Alpine, JVC
Speakers- RF Power Stage 2 (contest/show quality), RF Punch, MTX

Nakamichi baby!!!!! with MB Quart Speakers!!!!!
Who cares about sound pressure levels...

It's all about the clarity...

Back