• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

my solid axle swap

Looks awsome... what are some specs? Waht axle in the front? gearing? tire size?

looks like you need to compete against these guys..... http://www.siblingrivalry.com/ I have been following thier site for over a year...

Grey

Just out of curiosity, why does someone want a soild axle? (Towing, fourwheeling). And is it a driveshaft/axle or the wheel axle.

Sorry I'm a mechanical rookie.............. :cautious:

yeah...More pics!

You did the work yourself? If not, how much it set you back if you don't mind me askin'.

I know a guy lookin' to do the swap for a total of 21 inches with some 49's. you guys are crazy man...

Mud!

SpottyJ said:
Just out of curiosity, why does someone want a soild axle? (Towing, fourwheeling). And is it a driveshaft/axle or the wheel axle.

Sorry I'm a mechanical rookie.............. :cautious:

all AVY's are solid axle, no? I think he just swapped his 2500 axle out for something heavier :eek:

As to why solid axle? got me...assuming strength and maintenance issue? ??? I've also heard of off-road clearance issues, but don't know for sure. Now that I think about it, wheel articulation would probably be a reason (for? against?), too.

RichUF said:
all AVY's are solid axle, no? I think he just swapped his 2500 axle out for something heavier :eek:

As to why solid axle? got me...assuming strength and maintenance issue? ??? I've also heard of off-road clearance issues, but don't know for sure. Now that I think about it, wheel articulation would probably be a reason (for? against?), too.

Front is IFS - Swapping it out allows for more stability and added hieght. 12inches on IFS is borderline in itself, but with the Solid Axle, you can get up there in height!

Mud!

kodio said:
RichUF said:
all AVY's are solid axle, no?

Not in the front.

OOOOOHHHHH, he changed the front. Thought he just change the rear. I meant all AVYs as in 1500 and 2500, and meant rear axle only in my own little brain :2: :2: :2:

well for all of you who want answers...first of all independant front suspension is the worst idea that chevy ever came up with(personal opinion). 8" of lift on ifs is the max for for steering geometry...if u go higher your angles will all be wrong and you will replace parts! with a solid axle swap the sky is the limit...if u cant get leaf springs made big enuff for ur taste then you can always go coil over and four link the thing. then u come to the point of what is gonna break...ifs is weak...i put a dana 60 front axle out of a 79 ford f250 up front. its not gonna break...there are no parts to replace cuz u do it when u install it and they never go bad!

as 4 specs:rite now i have 12 inches of lift...prolly will get bigger in the near future...those are 35x14.5x16.5 tires but soon will be getting 38x15.5x20's...gearing is 4.88's...new transfer case is on the way since this procedure doenst work well with the stupid ass auto trac transfer case chevy decided to put in these things...dual shocks up front single in the rear...new rear driveshaft new front driveshaft...and finally for those of u who wanted to know...as of now my total out of pocket spending is over $5000 and growing...that is without payin labor due to the fact that me and my friends did all the work...ill have more pics on here lata and update everyone with my future upgrades to the motor and interior

How about some more photo's of the AV up close :0:

Well guys sorry it took so long to get an update on here i have been busy...Not a whole lot has changed...what did change tho is: I now have 39.5x13.5x20 Swamper Irok Radials on 20x10 eagle rims, i purchased a stealth off road front bumper and added a custom pre-runner to it and for now thats about all...my plans are to build a custom rear bumper in the near future and start on the motor...sorry there are no new pics but i will get some on here soon and hopefully i can get it in one of the off road magazines soon!

Nice job on the solid axle and sorry to bring this thread back.  But I was wondering what suspension setup you used up front?  BTW looks great

burritoboi5 said:
Nice job on the solid axle and sorry to bring this thread back.? But I was wondering what suspension setup you used up front?? BTW looks great

Burritoboi5:

solidaxleavy has not been on-line here since Dec-04, but there is an email in his profile if you want to contact him.

Ahh that's a bummer, thanks for letting me know though gpventures it's much appreciated

hey man love the avi but i was wondering if you can tell me how you did your swap i would love to do one but idk how to make the brackets so is there a kit with them made already or wat and also what kind of axle do i need to get if you could e mail me that would be awesome thanks man!!

snopro91mi@hotmail.com

snopro91 said:
hey man love the avi but i was wondering if you can tell me how you did your swap i would love to do one but idk how to make the brackets so is there a kit with them made already or wat and also what kind of axle do i need to get if you could e mail me that would be awesome thanks man!!

snopro91mi@hotmail.com

If you take the time to read the thread through, you'd find out that it's been dead for 3 years.  Also 3 years prior to the last 2007 post the original poster stopped updating, so since 2004 the originator of the thread hasn't made any further comment. 

You might be able to reach him through email.  BUT on a brighter note you get two points for actually using the search to dig up this thread  :yourock:

Thanks for being nice SurvivalFreak  he is a newbie. (y)

i know this thread is old and dead but does anybody have sas info for out trucks? maybe a kit?

for all of the late posters asking questions about his lift, read the specs he gave. its a dana 60 from an f250 but any heavy duty axle that is close in length to the rear and has the same side drop, will work. then after removing al the ifs crap, simply weld in leaf spring hangers, have a drive shaft made, and start fitting steering. solid axle suspensions are so simple, its like reverse engineering the truck.

Back