• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Removing rear tailgate Spoiler

It is held on with double sided tape, 2 rows. Top is taped down and so is the face. Get a utility knife, with a brand new sharp blade. Run the blade into the crack/space along the top from the bed side (v. bumper side) of the gate. Pull it all the way across the gate length (leave the gate closed the entire time of this process). Then, pull the top back with your fingers and run another cut.

When the top is free, bend the spoiler all the way back to the point where you can see the tape that is holding the face of the spoiler to the gate and do the same thing there. The spoiler will not deform so you needn't worry about that.

Just outta curiousity, why do you want to take it off?

-James. :cool:

from stylinconcepts.com

A Truck Sport Wing...low profile not like the ones on Hondas lol

66" wide - had it custom painted to match the truck

I don't know about that . . . the base of that spolier looks too wide for the tailgate "spoiler" piece.

If you are really going to put that wing on you'd have a better chance mounting it thru the last bed panel.

Gotta see pics of this... But, wouldn't it get in the way when loading things??? ???

Thats going to look good. I was wondering myself what an AV would look live with a rear spoiler similar to the Ford.

This wing sort of reminds me of the wing on the new Dodge RT-10 sport rig.

But I am going to give you some not-so-wonderful news. When you take the existing spoiler off you are going to see that the face of the tailgate skin, at the top, is going to need some body work. It's notched out for that factory spoiler and has holes where it "clips" into the gate skin. "clips" is a misnomer really but you'll see what I mean when you take it off.

I guess I will go first and see how it looks...from the trial installation I did I REALLY liked it a lot. I think it gives the truck a really different look. I want something different than your typical AV ;D

I think I am going with the mounting on the 3rd bed panel instead....I wont be able to open the side storage areas unless I move it forward. But I hardly use them and when I do it's once a month at most. Only takes 5 seconds to move the bed panel forward a couple inches so it's really not that bad.

The Wing is attached - It had to have new holes since they got in the way with the levers to remove the 3rd bed panel. Other than that it was fine. Will put some Black Caulk around the parts that touch the bed panel to avoid moisture getting in.

I personally like this...I dont think it looks 2 "ricer" since it's not one of those tall wings.

Here are some pics...

Attachments

• wingattached.JPG
    wingattached.JPG
    46.9 KB · Views: 115
Back