• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

FRS radios on Tybee

zukracer

PM 2013
PM 2012
SM 2011
SM 2010
SM 2009
SM 2008
SM 2007
SM 2006
SM 2005
SM 2004
SM 2003
I'm currently sourcing a location to get some of the Radio Shack 1850 FRS radios. For anyone that isnt familiar with this model, its the one that plugs into your cig lighter and has a "remote" antenna with a super strong magnet base. FRS radios are not legally supposed to have an "external" antenna, but these get around that law by having all the parts sync into the power plug. The antenna cord is plenty long so no worries with finding a place to stick it. These radios are excellent for any GTG, cruise or other vehicle to vehicle communication. Ask anyone that has one, they are fantastic, plus require no batteries (y) Also the clarity is really good, just ask Squatch ;)

So if you are interested, I am thinking about buying a case of them. These units have been discontinued by Radio Shack so supplies are pretty limited. Unit cost will be $30 with no s/h if you pick them up in Tybee. I don't mind shipping them if anyone is interested and you'll just have to pickup the actual shipping cost. Let me know if anyone is interested in these. I'll post a picture of the one I won at the ATL GTG when I get home tonight.

I was able to secure 20 of these radios, might be able to find more, however they are pretty hard to find these days.

1 - Joe Pollick
2- Sourmash
1- Hug_R_AV
1- TrzAV
1- Texascwgrl
1- lanman1
1- Woodworker
1- Zukracer
1- North Face Will
1- Futurelance
1- ghost
2 - Boo
1 - SButch6969
1 - WvSquatch
1 - Obsydian
2 - aetatis
1 - Raffle Item

----------------
20spoken for, that leaves 0 left

You should already know afte our conversation the other night. I will most definately take one, will pick up at STI-II

sounds good, thats 5 anyone else want in on these? Need to get an idea by tomorrow so i can order them :)

zukracer said:
I'm currently sourcing a location to get some of the Radio Shack 1850 FRS radios. For anyone that isnt familiar with this model, its the one that plugs into your cig lighter and has a "remote" antenna with a super strong magnet base. FRS radios are not legally supposed to have an "external" antenna, but these get around that law by having all the parts sync into the power plug. The antenna cord is plenty long so no worries with finding a place to stick it. These radios are excellent for any GTG, cruise or other vehicle to vehicle communication. Ask anyone that has one, they are fantastic, plus require no batteries (y) Also the clarity is really good, just ask Squatch ;)

So if you are interested, I am thinking about buying a case of them. These units have been discontinued by Radio Shack so supplies are pretty limited. Unit cost will be $30 with no s/h if you pick them up in Tybee. I don't mind shipping them if anyone is interested and you'll just have to pickup the actual shipping cost. Let me know if anyone is interested in these. I'll post a picture of the one I won at the ATL GTG when I get home tonight.

Just for verification, I believe the radio itself is in the antenna mount. That's how they get around the antenna to radio distance laws.

I have one of these radios, and I have been toying with the idea of locating a power outlet somewhere in the rear of the cab, to cut down on the wires running around the cab. I'd like to run the antenna cable above the top of the window. But, the power cable won't reach from there to the front power outlets.
My initial thoughts were to install a power outlet in the back of the center console. Anyone else done anything like this?

got you on the list Woodworker, does this mean you are coming to STI ?

Av-n-Taz said:
Just for verification, I believe the radio itself is in the antenna mount. That's how they get around the antenna to radio distance laws.

I have one of these radios, and I have been toying with the idea of locating a power outlet somewhere in the rear of the cab, to cut down on the wires running around the cab. I'd like to run the antenna cable above the top of the window. But, the power cable won't reach from there to the front power outlets.
My initial thoughts were to install a power outlet in the back of the center console. Anyone else done anything like this?

How about wiring an aux. power outlet into the cubby in the overhead? That way can run the antenna straight to the top of the window and all wires can be stored overhead and not cluttering the lower area of the cab

NF Will and Futurelance go you guys on the list (y)

And wiring power up to the cubby wouldnt be bad, you just can't have the sunroof closed all the way but thats how I had mine run in ATL :) (antenna out the sunroof that is )

Thanks zukracer.

zukracer said:
NF Will and Futurelance go you guys on the list (y)

And wiring power up to the cubby wouldnt be bad, you just can't have the sunroof closed all the way but thats how I had mine run in ATL :) (antenna out the sunroof that is )

I was thinking that since there is 10 ft. of antenna cable, if have aux pwr hard point in overhead, run it along and tucked in the windshield trim at the headliner, out the top of the door and to the roof

I'll take one if any are left.....this is exactly what I have been looking for!!!!!

I am curious though as to how you were able to get one. I looked long and hard for quite some time....even talked with a radio shack rep who checked with several of his distributors. They were all out of this product. How have you come across 15 of these??? If so,,,,,hell of a good find my friend!

SB

got you both (y)

They are all gone now, though I might try to get some more if there's some more interest.

Back