• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Axes/Hatchets?

james21

Cruise Coord
PM 2021
PM 2019
PM 2014
PM 2012
SM 2011
SM 2008
SM 2007
SM 2006
SM 2005
SM 2004
SM 2003
I wanted to find out who has an Axe or Hatchet in their AV, and what kind. I want to get one for my Conferr rack, but I am not sure what kind I should get. I have looked at fiberglass axes, steel axes/hatchets, I have found some at home depot, and I have looked at Gerber hatchets. I am not sure of the best length to get, I want a decent sized one, probably 20"-24". Please let me know what you have or prefer, if you have a rack, and what else you carry.
Thanks.

-James. :cool:

The main thing to remember is to watch for rust on the head of the axe. If it rusts the rust will drip on the roof and ruin the roof. I prefer the fiberglass axes for looks but whichever you get you may want to keep paint on the head to prevent rust.

I got one that is half steel(possibly SS), and half fiberglass. It has a leather cover over the head, so that should keep rust away. (y)

I have a standard Coleman hatchet in the storage bin. Also have one of the folding shovels with one side sharpened as an ax in last resort.

i carry one of these in my saddlebag along with the recovery hook and a tool kit.. it's not something i'd use on a daily basis, but for emergencies, it does the trick..

I have a small hatchet that I got from Home Depot. It's stored in a military surplus belt hatchet pouch. I also have one of those tri-fold shovel. But I'll be upgrading to to a folding shovel/pick I saw at the surplus store.

I carry a What-A-saw Have a folding shovel W/pick end
And two Stainless steel tactical swords 26"&18"

I carry a woodman's pal and a Fiskars small saw.
newlogo5.gif

It's like a machete on steriods. ...

SRFNSNO said:
I carry a What-A-saw Have a folding shovel W/pick end
And two Stainless steel tactical swords 26"&18"
My curiosity has taken over, why do you have swords in your AV? Isnt that ILLEGAL?

Ted, where can I get one of those >:D.

1st off the steel (folded and tempered 420SS)cuts through everything. roots,vines,tires,bailing wire....

Sword not like Conan

Also they are sheathed and stored with recovery equipment.

Do you think Bowie,Rambo Knives or Machete is Legal.
Woodsman's Pal (legal??) But I Like it.

Another option might be a tomahawk.
I know that might seem starnge, but the modern tomahawk design is a very versatile tool. The was a great discription of the tool made by the American Tomahawk Company on the History channel a few days ago. They are somewhat expensive but there are several styles available. Cold Steel makes a similar product.

The MOX

I thought I was the only guy to carry an ax..
I carry three, a full size eswing, a mid size wood handled ax and a small fiskers hatchet. The hatchet is very well made and its big brother is on my list of things to get, Home depot.
I also carry a Husquvarna 55 chainsaw, I made a steel plate that bungees all my gear, gas, oil, spare chains... It is leakproof by design.

The Mox said:
Another option might be a tomahawk.
I know that might seem starnge, but the modern tomahawk design is a very versatile tool. The was a great discription of the tool made by the American Tomahawk Company on the History channel a few days ago. They are somewhat expensive but there are several styles available. Cold Steel makes a similar product.

The MOX

WOW! :eek:

I don't know how I have lived so long without one of these!
Ordering..

fiskers Nice Steel (y)
Just saw special on History Channel on swords knives and axes.
http://www.budkww.com/index.asp
Above site has some cool blades and good deals.

I came across a company that makes axe, which are supposed to be some of the best in the world. The company is Gransfors Bruks, it is Swedish, and they have a variety of axes of all sizes. Does anyone know of them? I was planning on getting one of the smaller axes for myself to carry around in my bed, but I was going to get another for my father as a gift.

I have an Estwing hatchet 30+ years old I carry in my saddlebag at times, it's one piece forged with fiberglass wrapped handle and holds an edge forever it seems. I carry a 5 lb hammer for horse shoe and tent stakes and have used the old Estwing for a splitting wedge for firewood. I think it's indestructable.

Nasty said:
Try a Khukri...the right one will out chop an ax. I'm never without one in the Av somewhere.

http://www.himalayan-imports.com/

For ax type work, look at the 18" Ang Khola

No interest, just a satisfied customer.
Some very nice blades on that site, the Ang Khola 18" is very nice. Might look into getting one.

If you are interested James, "blems" are often put on the Bladeforums.com site at reduced prices. A blem usually means a minor scuff on the scabbard or a couple of minutes worth of rust polishing. They are incredible values for hand made knives (with a lifetime warrenty). If you have questions, feel free to ask, either here or there...it's the friendliest forum I've ever seen or been part of.

ps: The khukris are made of truck leaf springs...usually Mercedes Benz.

cold steel also has factory seconds on kukri's. I've purchased some of there knife seconds and can't see any defects. They also make a very sturdy product

Nasty, I'd prefer to get the real thing, rather than a second hand one. I once got a Machette from an Army/Navy Surplus store, 18" w/ sheath for around $15, the damn thing wasn't even sharpened :E: :8:. So I now only buy first hand, and $125-$150 isn't that bad for me.
Wildfire, I talked with Cold Steel, and as I said above I only like to buy new. I tried two places one was a surplus, said they can't get any, the other company was rude and hung up on me.

I carry this in my AV. I love it and wouldn't trade it for anything.

http://www.maxax.com/specs.html

Little pricey but it is an all in one.

Back