• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

4L60E/4L85E Maintenance Alert

gandolphxx

Charter Member
Found this message on the Silverado forum [actually copied from board to board so nobody really knows where it came from] ;D

found this comment on a transmission repair shop's web page (drwtransmission.com):

'General Motors 4L60E Preventive Maintenance Tip
The pressure regulator boost valve and it's sleeve should be replaced every 40,000 miles to avoid major damage that occurs when accumulated wear in the boost
sleeve causes insufficient pressure to be made available in reverse. We are seeing too many major repairs of the 4L60E at around 50,000 plus miles being traced to
this boost valve and sleeve. The valve and sleeve can be replaced easily during a routine service of the transmission at an additional cost of around $50.00. This
should be considered a must do maintenance procedure on the 4L60E. '

This may be the source of the problem that many have been complaining about. ?;D

That would have probably saved my last 4L60E on my 96 K1500. I only had 110K miles when the tranny died. That was the only weak point I had in that truck. I will look into that when I roll around 50K miles in my AV. Thanks for the tip

Hmmm.......... Sure that didn't say 4L80E. The boost valve and sleeve wear is a far bigger problem in the 4L80E than the 4L60E. I replace the boost valve on every 4l80e I build because they are always worn. On the 4l60e, I probably change 2 out of 10.

I do agree with that tip, but more so for the 4l80e.

mike56BA said:
Hmmm.......... Sure that didn't say 4L80E. The boost valve and sleeve wear is a far bigger problem in the 4L80E than the 4L60E. I replace the boost valve on every 4l80e I build because they are always worn. On the 4l60e, I probably change 2 out of 10.

Thanks again for the catch and experience - I will change the topic header. The original just mentioned the 4L60E, but I wondered.

Aegis said:
OK now i'm confused?? which trans is in the 2500 8.1 ?
The 4L85E resides in the 2500 Av.

Aegis said:
OK now i'm confused?? which trans is in the 2500 8.1 ?
Sorry about that:

AV 1500 = 4L60E
AV 2500 = 4L85E - specific to the 8.1L engine pairing.

the "60" and "80" series are 4 planetary versions.

the "65" and "85" series are 5 planetary versions that have been upgraded for heavier duty. The 4l65E is used in some of the 6.0L versions of GMC trucks.

gandolphxx,

Please confirm then,, the boost valve should be replaced at 50K then? I just bought an 03 Suburban with the 8.1 also.

Aegis said:
gandolphxx,

Please confirm then,, the boost valve should be replaced at 50K then? I just bought an 03 Suburban with the 8.1 also.

Let an expert answer:

mike56BA said:

Back