• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

towing goose neck horse trailers

bryant

Hi,
I own an avalanche and do really love it.  My question, does anyone pull a goose neck horse trailer with one and if so, what brand of trailer?  I've been pulling a 2 horse bumper pull and and considering a goose neck to replace it with.  This would allow me to use my other truck also in a much safer way.  I don't know it is't been done?

Read your owner's manual, it specifically tells you not to tow fifth-wheel trailers.

Two major reasons:

The bed rails/tailgate are higher than standard, which can interfere with the trailer.
The sail panel comes too far back, which can interfere with the trailer.

Short-bed pickups are already pretty tight for using in-bed hitches. The sail panel pretty much eliminates what little leeway there was.

Hitch Buddy

Hitchin' it up here boss!! or You can get a Duramax Silverado.  Great Torque, Great Truck and  Really Bad Tires!!

JW

and a link...

http://www.hitch-buddy.com/5thwheel.htm

I CHNGE said:
and a link...

http://www.hitch-buddy.com/5thwheel.htm

But isn't it more fun to send them through other threads first!!!  >:D

JW

I was pretty much in the same boat you are - looking for a bigger trailer.  To avoid buying a "real" truck, I ended up buying a bigger bumper trailer.  It's 21 ft long, 3 horse slant load with collapsible rear tack room (the dressing room/living area will hold the saddle rack if the rear tack room is collapsed).  Big Ugly pulls it really nicely, although we just acquired the trailer this winter, and haven't gone through a show season with it, what pulling I've done with it, it pulls great - you DO need a weight distributing hitch with a trailer this size, however.  I will say I've pulled it in some big cross-winds without anti-sway and it's been great, even though it's pretty big.

All my pictures are > 100K, and a quick perusal of my software doesn't turn up a way to reduce resolution to get it down small enough.  If you'd like more info on the trailer (pictures, vendors, etc), email me and I'll provide them.

sjohnson@kcisp.net

I know they say it can't or shouldn't be done, but about a month ago, I saw an AV pulling a two horse goose neck trailor. It looked to be a pretty big trailor. I didn't get a real good look at it as I was headed in the oppisite direction and was surprised to see it. So frm the look of things it can be done. Whether or not it's smart or safe to do so may be a different story.

Pete

I believe both Bullmobile and S&S make goosenecks that could be pulled with the Avalanche.  :) Rather than have a storage area directly over the neck, they use a ladder frame that has a high rise and fairly steep rake.

I saw a 4-horse slantload at the Fort Worth Stock Show with that design. I believe it was an S&S. At the time I said to myself, "I think I could pull that." ;D It looks like you could even leave the front bed cover on.

The only caveat is....Be VERY careful when backing. Don't get the angle so steep you hit the sail panels. :E:

Cool, but I guess my question is who makes the hitch rig that goes in the bed?

Most mount on a truck frame, over the rear end IOT allow max hitch weight.

We have the Suburban frame and a very short box.  I think the hitch would need to be close to the tailgate IOT keep the trailer out of the sail panels.

Murman :cool:

Murman said:
Cool, but I guess my question is who makes the hitch rig that goes in the bed?

Most mount on a truck frame, over the rear end IOT allow max hitch weight.

We have the Suburban frame and a very short box.  I think the hitch would need to be close to the tailgate IOT keep the trailer out of the sail panels.

See, that's a problem though. In order to get the proper weight balance on the truck, the hitch has to be above to slightly forward of the rear axle. If it's behind, it will unload the front wheels.

My current frame hitch is aft of the rear end and does not unload the front wheels...

I think that as long as I stay within the stock hitch ratings, I could relocate my hitch cross member to under/through the bed and pull a trailer in gooseneck manner...

farmguy said:
I believe both Bullmobile and S&S make goosenecks that could be pulled with the Avalanche.? :) Rather than have a storage area directly over the neck, they use a ladder frame that has a high rise and fairly steep rake.
Farmguy,

I cannot find Bullmobile or S&S trailers.

Can you assist? (y)

It it likely that Bullmobile does not have a web site.  :E:
They are a small manufacturer located in Caldwell, Kansas. I know the area code is 620, but don't have the phone number. I am pretty sure they will build a trailer to your specs.

As for S&S, I think that is a brand name they use and are part of a large corporation. They have displays at the major livestock and horse shows here. That's where I saw the trailer I mentioned.

Here's a pic of the platform I'm talking about. This is an open stock trailer, but I know they build an enclosed slant load horse trailer on the same chassis. The front down tube is adjustable. In this pic, it is in the full up position. Havn't taken any measurements, but in the full down, I'm pretty sure it would clear the sides of the Avalance Bed. The rake back to the main chassis should be enough to give clearance for the sail panels as long as the angle is not too steep.

Attachments

• ssgnss.jpg
    ssgnss.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 685
I know it's not a horsetrailer, but here is my set up.  It works great.  Was easy to install and tows way better than a tag trailer on a rear hitch.  To each his own.  It's not for everyone.  Let me know what you think.

Attachments

• Avy gooseneck hitch.JPG
    Avy gooseneck hitch.JPG
    54.1 KB · Views: 484
  • Avy with Goose.JPG
    Avy with Goose.JPG
    19.6 KB · Views: 487
cool. 

I tow a 34' tag with mine
main.php

main.php

It handles great, could use some morego juice in the mtns though.  I like the tag for the bed space.  With 4 adults, camp gear alone fills up the bed, and its nice to keep it locked and covered.

Here's a couple more of my finished trailer with two rigs on it this past weekend.  Still got 11 mpg doing 70mph over a 5 hour trip!  I was quite happy! I'll post 3 pics.

Attachments

• CampNL #1 small.jpg
    CampNL #1 small.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 451
Here's a picture with my new plate in the bed, which moves the hitch directly over the axle (for those of you that were concerned with it).  Had to move my Jeep (the front one) and the back one is my buddy's.  This set up tows great and we can split the gas when we head out for the weekend.

Attachments

• 2 Jeeps #1 small.JPG
    2 Jeeps #1 small.JPG
    34.2 KB · Views: 421
jimini said:
Here's a picture with my new plate in the bed, which moves the hitch directly over the axle (for those of you that were concerned with it).  Had to move my Jeep (the front one) and the back one is my buddy's.  This set up tows great and we can split the gas when we head out for the weekend.
good looking set-up
splitting gas costs is always nice these days  :D

jimini said:

jimini, I was wondering if you could send me pictures and/or instructions on how you built and installed the gooseneck plate into your truck. Thank.

is that just a standard trailer or is that a custom trailer, the neck looks like it stretches out alittle farther then a standard trailer.  also does this wet up only work with that kind of trailer, would it work with like a 5th wheel moterhome?

Back