• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

FUTURE Home floor wax? Who's tried it and what do you think?

BigBlue80

A few posters have mentioned Future or Futura Floor wax.? Does this stuff work well?? Does it run on paint and how long does it last?

Thanks

added this pic:

4650000182.GIF

I have not tested yet...but brought it up as an idea...

Too much rain here to apply...but will soon

I'd like to try it but on something cheaper like a side comp cover or ?

I would imagine every piece of tupperware on the Av is a lot of $$

What would safely strip it without harm to the plastic?

I will test soon...and report back....

I used Mop & Glo as an engine detailer once.Similar ingredients to Meguiars old Engine Kote.I sprayed it over the engine compartment but should have wiped it on to the hard plastic surface.I noticed later it had eaten away some of the foam it had come into contact with.Of coarse I did this experiment on my wife's car first.

Wise choice, Rick.  Always better to experiment on someone elses first.  I've been known to do the same.

Rick M said:
I used Mop & Glo as an engine detailer once.Similar ingredients to Meguiars old Engine Kote.I sprayed it over the engine compartment but should have wiped it on to the hard plastic surface.I noticed later it had eaten away some of the foam it had come into contact with.Of coarse I did this experiment on my wife's car first.

i see i am not the first, or the last to you the wifes' vehicle as a test bed.!! >:D  i remember an instance when i tried the Dent King on her '99 Passport. :6:  not a good outcome.  how about i pulled two of the dings too far out.  i inverted the dings so they stuck out instead of in. :E:  she never noticed it.  i let the Dent Doctor handle all that stuff now. ;)

? ?i have been giving this forr wax thing some though.? i was wondering what the long term affect would be IF there were any residue to run onto the paint after a rainfall, or wash?
  as of now i have no issues with the Armor-Dillo.  this is a result of different techniques that finally resulted in the best looking, longest-lasting, least likely to run application i could achieve.

One poster on YGMN's recent comparision test post stated that he would not recommend Mop and Glo.  He said he worked for a flooring retailer and said M&G tends too yellow over time.  He recommended Future or Futura I believe.  He also said that it should be safe on the Av since plastic floor were more delicate.

I've had Futura on my cladding for 8 months now and I LOVE it  (y) There's just one streak mark from something else..But The Cladding I did looks darker and has a nice shine to it.. Just try NOT to get it on your Metel or anywhere else it will leave a bubble look..
Put it on lite with a sponge like thing. It will be sticky for about 2 mins then let it air dry over about 2 mins and it will feel normal...Thats it I used to use this on Fake tops on Lincolns and Cadys years ago and it only costs about $6.00 for a Bottle...Good Luck..

I would be very cautious about getting these products on to the outside painted surfaces.As I stated I put the Mop & Glo into a spray bottle and misted the engine compartment.Apparently a little over spray got on to the top of the fender.About a month or so later I noticed that the surface was of a sand paper texture.The only thing I could think of that caused this was the over spray from the Mop & Glo.I had to level the clear coat with my Porter Cable and an aggresive approach with pads and polish to hide it.All I can say is I'm glad I didn't try this on my AV first.  :rolleyes:

I just applied some FUTURE to the lower cladding......

Real sunny here..but somewhat cool as it is in the 50's....

But looks real good....I wore a vinyl glove and used and old applicator sponge to apply....put future inold cup...dipped sponge...wring out in cup...then apply carefully so as not to get on anything....dried very fast as it is very dry here....

nice shine...snot sticky or oily at al...actaully kinda slick to touch after dry.....

Will do rear bumper later today.....

I think as long as I do not wash with strong soaps it should last....as I put some on a test piece of plastic in the garage...and got it wet....it kinda got a white look then went away.....and I will make some car shampoo mixture next to see if lasts through that as well...

The bottle says use ammonia and some floor cleaner to remove after 6-8 applications....so I can see where a strong soap would be required...which is what I used on my small test sample on driver sail panel....(meguiars all purpose cleaner)

More to come as I test this....

PS very thin stuff about like water...so a lot goes a long way....I bet I only need maybe 1-2 ounces at most for entire truck....which would be a bunch for the $5 I paid for 1/2 gallon...hehehe

here is a pic...
normal_MVC-048F.JPG

I have more in my album....but very shiney...cladding feels as if it has nothing on it....so not a bug attracter...

Now we will see what wether does to it.....

Some sticky stuff though until it dries...also ensure you do not have drips or runs as they will show....if you get some...just wet paper towel with some future..and go ove spot to level out....

As I said it works great just don't get any on the paint..
And it will last a long time...You can now STEP all over your Cladding.. >:D

enkeiavalanche said:
As I said it works great just don't get any on the paint..
And it will last a long time...You can now STEP all over your Cladding.. >:D

I just did everything but the #3 panel and the passenger sail panel on the outside....

I stepped into the foot hole in the rear bumper...and no marks at all....

Starting to love this stuff more....

The panels I did 2 coats...it did not hide as much as other stuff...but I attribute this since FUTURE is pretty much clear in bottle and when going on....

So maybe next time....I will use the eraser on these stubborn panels and a few spots on rear tailgate upeer piece....

So enkei says not to get it on the paint.  Ygmn does this stuff have potential to run down on the paint from the sails and panels. Enkei as Punisher stated what are/could the side effects be on the paint.  You seem to talk from experience.

On a side note I also own a black Av and so far I don't care how little product I use or buffing the excess the stuff runs.  Just depends how hard of rains we get here in Sunny Florida.

Currently using Turtle Tire wax and so far works the best and last the longest on my truck so far.

Ygmn, also it's funny you mentioned the eraser experiment.  I made a post on here months ago, which went pretty much unnoticed, about using a medium stiff bristol plastic brush.  It did a good job of buffing out very light tiger stripe, nothing like yours however.  I also had the idea of using a dry orbital. This after owning a plastic fishing boat that leaches a pectin type of stuff that can be buffed dry and brought to the original shine. The eraser I feel is falling into the same lines.  I tried the orbital with some cleaner wax on the panels and big blotches and spots went away but all the tiny creavices were white and needed brushing and some product. Maybe I'll try the dry orbital on a panel next time it needs a little something.

Good luck with floor wax and please keep us updated.

P.S. another thought is maybe use an orbital with a wax that doesn't turn the plastic white.  I believe some of you said wax without silicone I think.

The heat from an orbital could also help even out the uneven leaching pattern or speed up the leaching life cycle if you think it in fact does come to an end.

BigBlue80 said:
P.S. another thought is maybe use an orbital with a wax that doesn't turn the plastic white. I believe some of you said wax without silicone I think.

The heat from an orbital could also help even out the uneven leaching pattern or speed up the leaching life cycle if you think it in fact does come to an end.

Orbital with a big huge eraser.....most waxes have something in it to dry and be a PIA to remove.....I tired several....argggggg is all I can say....

I will update on FUTURE....

as to getting on paint....I wax prior...so not a huge issue to me...as I did drip a few drops...but I had quick detail spray handy and wiped it up ...so no problem....

Still sunny not much rain for a while...but the morning dew and frost might be as best I can get for the paint drip down factor...

Looks great....except for #2 panel...which I think I may have had a wet applicator..one that had water in it..from not letting it dry out all the way before applying...

will see what happens in lieu of trying to xlean off and start again...

Very impressed.....so far...but no rains as of yet....

No real dew to speak of either....

Does look brand new though...impressed...and cheapppppp

If you do get it on the paint just wash it off asap...
What ever you use to put it on make sure it's dry It does NOT mix well with water... :E:  Unless you like a Bubble effect on your cladding. Mine has been on now for 10 months, I've had heavy rain and snow/salt on it.. (y)

To the skeptics out there I was shocked to find out that after flying my sister cleans off her private airplane with...

PLEDGE!  Yes, furniture polish -- not the canopy but all painted surfaces.  Keep in mind though that aircraft paint is different from an automotive finish.

enkeiavalanche said:
If you do get it on the paint just wash it off asap...
What ever you use to put it on make sure it's dry It does NOT mix well with water... :E: Unless you like a Bubble effect on your cladding. Mine has been on now for 10 months, I've had heavy rain and snow/salt on it.. (y)

about using FUTURE:

why didn't you speak up earlier....and if you did...why not louder hehehehe

ygmn said:
I just applied some FUTURE to the lower cladding......

nice shine...  snot sticky    

is that a special kind of sticky?  >:D

Back