• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Ultimate Avalanche - Part 3

BargainHunterMJ

This is an article writen by Fred Williams

http://www.4wheeloffroad.com/brandpages/chevy/131_0310_ult/index.html

You should read the article and look at the great pics.

:eek:You won't beleive what they did to the interior.

Regards

That is one Sick Ride.  I've Been folowing the build. (y)

They put 4 wheel stering on it.

Are runing internal Bead Locks so they can air way down.

And they took it out and Beat the Pi$$ out of it. >:D

Even cruched the roof and doors runing through the TANK TRAP.

;D ;D ;D  they know what they are doing,,,these people are very advanced,,way ahead of us,,,your man in the field abuelito :love:

I don't think they ever took the truck on 4Wheelers tank trap....

I honestly don't think they are way ahead of you either, although the ultimate Taco is way cool and Fred does know how to build a very nice truck, the av didn't do so well....  Multiple broken rear r&ps, broken springs, t'case, shifters etc...  And of course a an electronic system that would not co-operate with out the oem speed sensor.  This year the truck did better but stayed off of most of the tough trails..... 

Don't get me wrong, it was cool and  a neat looking truck with some good components (other then too weak of a rear axle) but it was 9000+lbs. 

bikerchic1977 said:
we need this av @ niagara!!? :eek:

They brought that AV to our SoCal meet last year. Body was trashed. Saw some rollover damage to roof and upper doors. Decent looking rig, but a terrible daily or cross country driver.

The artical I saw the truck had  major damage to the pasanger side of the truck.

And how I read this it happened in the tank trap.

And yes it did brake a lot but dose not and off road truck that gets pushed.

and the thing weighs 9000 lbs

There is also a thread some where in thes site (toys I think) radio shack
That show damage of when it rubed the tree

The truck did not rollover.  The damage on the driver side and the roof was from a tight trail in Illinois (UA 04).  I believe most of the damage on the passenger side was sustained on '03 UA in the SW.

Simply put they learned a lot of things from building that truck, and for that reason, the Taco this year turned out much more reliable.....

The doors on UA have been replaced.  Driver door is charcoal, and the rear is white.  I don't think it will get re-painted anytime soon, unless it's olive drab.  4Wheel & Offroad had an article in the May issue titled Moab Weekend.  From the references, they have not been really pleased with it's performance.

pdxkevin  those are manfactured by Spyder Customs.
Iam purty shure.

Its in Petersen's 4WHEEL again. In tecnical section.
Showing high lift for tire change and repair. "Tire on Rim"
And also a cut shot of it in ; wheeling prep check list.

ramv said:
I honestly don't think they are way ahead of you either, although the ultimate Taco is way cool and Fred does know how to build a very nice truck, the av didn't do so well....? Multiple broken rear r&ps, broken springs, t'case, shifters etc...? And of course a an electronic system that would not co-operate with out the oem speed sensor.? This year the truck did better but stayed off of most of the tough trails.....?

Don't get me wrong, it was cool and? a neat looking truck with some good components (other then too weak of a rear axle) but it was 9000+lbs.?

I can sympathize, we almost had that same speed sensor issue with my old Chevota but got lucky because of a last minute opportunity to use a '97 4L80e - which has the sensor in the tail rather than having it in the t-case with the 97 4L60e trannies that were with the 350 motors. Lucky I had a long-time Chevy expert / dealership lead mechanic doing the wiring work, as the wiring harness alone took him about 5 weeks of evenings/weekends and 200 pages of OEM manuals to retrofit it all.

I was curious, haven't been following the build up on that Av, what rear axle did they put in?

None of the major damage was from a roll over, it was from laying it over in a rut rock crawling and dragging it up the side.  Last time I talked to Fred he had alot of the body dmg replaced and was thinking of repainting it.

I put that site on my favorites. Thanks for the link. That is a cool av in my opinion. Most of the mods are very practical for the job it is doing.

black jack 05 said:
sorry i have to say this is the ultimate av .tv monitors every where sound system

That black and green one is sick too, I seen it before but it can't go off roading and its all show so it can't be called the ultimate AV. The Ultimate AV has to be show and go. So far the red one is go with some show. I'm sure they will build it up some more.

For all its problems it was still one sick Av! I just think they tried to do too much. If they had toned it down just a little it would have still been the Ultimate Avalanche and maybe it would still be drivable today. I gotta say though, I really liked the Rhino lining in the cab.

It definitely got used as a tow rig in '05 and Fred was using it as a camping/towrig later.  I was hoping to see it with some Raylar parts, as I don't recall a mag doing a truck build up with any. 

Anyway cool truck, the Funbuggy went to UA this year.  :B:

that stuff would interfere with the snugtop and the flipdown...but its cool for offroad, but the pics only show highway

Attachments

• 131_0310_ult_20_z.jpg
    131_0310_ult_20_z.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 872
  • 131_0310_ult_19_z.jpg
    131_0310_ult_19_z.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 869
Back