• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Anyone knw a good shop in Houston to swap out a rear diff?

zuhl555

I got a Eaton locking rear end off of e-bay a few months ago to install in my Av.  It was pretty cheap, I think I only paid $150 before shippng.  Some GM mechanic had taken it out of a silverado.  I would like to know of a good shop in Houston or South texas in general that could do the swap for less than and arm and a leg.  They can jsut have a leg, the one with the bum knee. 

Anyway, I am also confused on how the gear ratio is derrived.  I thought the ring gears were in the diff.  However I swore I have seen this same p/n differential on 3.73s and 3.42s and 4.10s.  Am I all screwed up here? 

Finally, I was wondering what potential problems I might run into by doing this.  I have been told to be very careful with who I choose and to make sure they set the pinion depth and backlash, however, that means nothing to me.  I just dont want to lock up my axle and blow something.  Thanks!

Back