• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Cracked Rear Window Trim?

WesTexAVY

Charter Member
SM 2011
SM 2010
SM 2009
SM 2008
SM 2007
SM 2006
SM 2005
SM 2004
SM 2003
I was reading some of the early posts on Edmunds and found some discussion about their rear window trim cracking/splitting.....I went to check mine and sure enough :cry: :cry: :cry: on the passenger side toward the top there is a 1/2" gap/crack and same side lower there is a 4" split running up the middle of the black trim.
The weather is fairly mild here..no snow or ice so I don't think it would be temperature changes???

Anyone else ??? ???

I've been keeping an eye on my trim - no problem so far. I haven't heard of the trim splitting before.

It's a common problem and dealers will cover - let 'em know. When is your production date (it's in the door on the vehicle info panel)

Born in June 2001
I have tint on the rear window also (talk about DARK!)..do you think the dealer will re-tint after replacing it ?

Make: CHEVROLET TRUCK Model: AVALANCHE Year: 2002

Service Bulletin Number: 010102 Bulletin Sequence Number: 627 Date of Bulletin: 01/02

NHTSA Item Number: SB627393
Component: VISUAL SYSTEMS:GLASS
Summary:
INFORMATION REGARDING REMOVABLE BACKGLASS ENCAPSULATION CRACKING. *YH

Hi,

I had the same thing happen to me in the same exact place. I went to the dealer and they replaced it, no problem.

Row

Do they replace the whole window or just the encapsulation? ?

I also have the same problem and my production date is June 2001. I have not yet brought it in for service.

Three weeks ago, I noticed the cracking on my window trim as well when I was attempting to mount a GPS beacon. I reported it to the dealership and they ordered me a new window on warranty. (It is a one-piece unit; plastic encasement and glass. They do not just replace the plastic.) I had it replaced last weekend and have noticed that the trim is much more rugged and heavy duty than on the factory window. It is obvious that they have experienced problems with it.

Those of you who have had cracked trim, was it noticed because you had been removing the window or did you just happen to notice it? Just curious as I have only removed the glass a few times. It would be nice to know if I will have the same problem or if mine was born late enough that the fix may have already been applied.

I am from Texas but was in the Mid west in very cold temps (for me) and my trim cracked while Showing someone how to change the AV around.

Mine had a quarter inch crack at the bottom in the middle.

Dealer ordered another window. Will pick up tomorrow.

This is the type of info that's so valuable from this website. Had I not read about it, I wouldn't have known it is a fairly common occurence.

I noticed on my rear window frame on the bottom section in the middle there is a 1/2" gap in the frame. The gap is right where the indicator line is on top of the cross bar. Is this what you all are refering to ? It looks like someone had cut this part out with a grinder.

Here is a picture of what the crack looks like.
av201.jpg

mine was also cracked and in the same spot. the dealer ordered
me a new one. I will have it put in Thursday they said it was redesigned and the frame is different. I will post about it when its done.

My trim also cracked in the same location. I had it back to the dealer on Friday 4/5/02 and they replaced it no problem. ;D I asked the service tech if he had seen this problem before and he told me I was the first. ???

I took mine back to the dealer and he couldn't even find a TSB on it. I gave him the TSB numbers and haven't heard back.

If your Dealer can't find the TSB, I would be calling Detroit. All Dealers receive the same TSB's. The service manager generally gets them.

Washed my truck today and noticed I've got cracked window trim also. Darn It! Guess I'm gonna have to take a trip to the dealer. Any special information I should know before I go?

See..... :( :( :(
window.jpg

My dealer told me that the 3/8" gap at the bottom center is typical of all avs. Of course this is the same dealer that couldn't find time to align the beast in the two days that he had it, didn't pull the weatherstrip off to remove all of the rust from the roof rack install, didn't reset the oil monitor, and replaced the accessory drive belt to cure a squealing when cold but didn't cure the problem. I hope the av is of higher quality than the service I've received. Tomorrow I visit other dealers to research the window crack, & maybe interview service managers?

Xrover....
I agree it is a pretty awful crack.

Has anyone else's cracked in the lower passenger side corner like mine?

Also, for those that got replacement windows....was the replacement window tinted? I remember someone bring that point up in a earlier post.

Wind4power,
Your crack looks like a real crack. Mine looks like it came that way from the factory. Center crack in the middle. I have noticed that crack from day 1 that I got it and it only had 3 miles when I picked it up. So I know mine came that way from the factory. When I stopped by the dealer on Mon. he told me he was waiting for 2 more windows for other Av's. I was surprized when my dealer told me my window was cracked. I did not even take it in for that they just happen to see it when they were tracing the leaking water.

MDmull I would look for another dealer.

Back