• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

whole passenger side carpet wet

grnxnam

SM 2006
I've got a massive water leak.  At first, I figured it was just the normal midgate leaks or because of a hole drilled under the rear seat.  The more I looked and the more times it happened, I realize that the area around the hole is dry, so thats not it. 

Today as I'm loading up to go to Macon, I realize that the front floor board on the pass. side is also soaked.  All the water is on the side closest to the door. 

any ideas where this is coming from?  Roof rack? had it loosened once to remove the cross braces.  could the midgate leak enough to cause the front to be wet?  no antifreeze smell, so I doubt its a heater core.  any other areas I need to check for leaks?  theres no obvious signs of a leak, other than the water...no drips or runs, no major exterior dammage.  (yeah, its on the side that I hit a pole on, but the leaks were there before that happened).  I removed the running board a few weeks ago. 

Sorry to here about your water troubles Greenie (n)? ? I am very mechanically challenged, so i do not have a clue other than the obvious (were windows all the way up, doors closed with good seals, rear window in properly, etc) :rolleyes:? Hope everything works out for you, bud :wave:

is your water leak on en early 02 model?

windows up, doors closed, leaks just as bad whether its moving or parked. ?its been kappening since before STI....before the hole was drilled and before the wreck. ?Its just never been this bad.

its an 02.  I think I remember seeing a mfgr date of Jan 02.

My 02 that I had had two seam's that were not sealer in the wheel well that caused the carpet to get wet.

Could be the seam in the wheel well. Do you have a sunroof? I have read of people having problems with that. I also removed my crossbars but don't have any water leaks because of it. Check the boots in the hing area of the doors that the wiring goes through. I think some have mentioned them poping off and getting water that way. Have you cleaned all of your drains in you AV. If it has been a while that may help.

The leak I had in that area on mine was from a drain tube on the sun roof that came loose.  Got a sun roof?

If I remember right he doesnt have a sunroof..  We will give it a good once over tonight or tomorrow..

no sun roof.  vent drains or any other drains never been cleaned out.  the whole interior has been out at one time or another...starting to disassemble it now.

Body seammmmm

or door jam wire boot....

or windsheild

or someone spilled a drink...hehehe

ygmn said:
Body seammmmm

or door jam wire boot....

or windsheild

or someone spilled a drink...hehehe
thats a big f-ing drink.

no high points are wet, just the foot wells and along the door line.  gonna check vents tomorrow.  doesnt look as if the water is running in from the roof anywhere.

Where is water exactly?

Front and rear against outboard side?

Did you peal back carpet to check?

See any surface rust?

Do anything new lately?

Where is water exactly?  front and back passengerf side floor board....lower areas along the door

Front and rear against outboard side?  yup

Did you peal back carpet to check?  yup

See any surface rust?  no rust, just soaked carpet

Do anything new lately?  drop spindles...springs also, but the load leveling shocks pushed the back up.  thinking that this may be why the front is wet now...due to the front being about 2-3 inches lower than the back.

I have a strong feeling it's coming in from the midgate.  I had the same thing on mine and ended up adjusting the catch on the midgate where you have to slam it so hard, most would not be able to close it.  There's 2 catches on the latch and grabbing the second is extremely hard, but it doesn't leak.

I'm not saying that it isnt coming from the midgate "area" but its been out for well over a year.  everything appears to be dry around the seal.  I've started pulling panels to find a possible cause.  Tomorrow, gonna clean out the vents and drains near the  rear window to see if that helps.

Check in the lower corners where the glass sits in the chanel?  There's about 3/8" slop for window placement and those little arrows need to be lined up perfectly.  Another area where mine leaked before.

May sound like stupid questions, but I went through hell finding out where mine was leaking before.  I'm just tossing out ideas that might be relevant/same in your AV.  I ultimately had my son work the hose while I probed every area inside & out with a halogen light.  Luckily, they're all gone now, but it took alot of time to find it since the dealer wouldn't.

BUDMAN said:
Check in the lower corners where the glass sits in the chanel?? There's about 3/8" slop for window placement and those little arrows need to be lined up perfectly.? Another area where mine leaked before.

May sound like stupid questions, but I went through hell finding out where mine was leaking before.? I'm just tossing out ideas that might be relevant/same in your AV.? I ultimately had my son work the hose while I probed every area inside & out with a halogen light.? Luckily, they're all gone now, but it took alot of time to find it since the dealer wouldn't.
any help is great.  If it helps me find my leak, thats great.  thanks to all who have shared info so far.

Hi,
I'm a first time visitor and poster.  My gate guard at the base I live on told me about this website when he saw me roll up in my '02 Chevy AVA!!  I lived in the desert with my 02 Chevy when I bought it in '01.  I was one of the first to buy in TX, and one of the FIRST to have it on the West Coast as they were only selling them in MI, IL, TX and FL.  Very dry in the desert, then I moved to NC, and holy toledo,, same thing, passenger side WETTTTT!!!  I thought the window, several things, well the weather was ALWAYS wet, and so was the passenger floor board.  So, on a dry day, I looked for the culprit.  I had to silicone, with windshield sealer stuff you get at any auto parts store.  I took a pitcher of water, pulled back the carpet, and SLOWLY poured water down the channel from the door seal and windshield.  WOW, there was a SMALL portion, where the water was going in, and YEUP, it started flooding the floorboard.  So I sealed it, re=channeled the water and NO MORE LEAKS!!! Just like a new diaper!  Then I took it in for the back windo leak, and they did a fix and admitted there was a recall, so they fixed it, no problems since.  The only thing that leaks now is my BED, so hopefully on this forum I'll be able to find out how to fix that problem.  THanks for the website and the time.!!  Tony

after the rain last night and this morning in Macon, the carpet wasn't any worse.  I'm hopping that leveling it out and getting rid of the 3+" rake due to the front being lowered helped.  JB gave me lots of info on leaks and causes. 

Found a leak "somewhere" on the passenger side.  either the bed panels or an over flowing drain in the front of the bed...we'll see.

:welcome: txlnghorn.  I'll be looking at the windshield also.  thx

The Entertainment said:
after the rain last night and this morning in Macon, the carpet wasn't any worse. I'm hopping that leveling it out and getting rid of the 3+" rake due to the front being lowered helped. JB gave me lots of info on leaks and causes.

Found a leak "somewhere" on the passenger side. either the bed panels or an over flowing drain in the front of the bed...we'll see.

:welcome: txlnghorn. I'll be looking at the windshield also. thx
ya gotta stop changing your name....I get so confused....hehehe

Have the same problem. Did not discover until out of warranty
Vehicle does not have 36000 miles yet . It is out of warranty
time wise.  Dealer attempted to fix the leak 5 times out of
warranty charging it to warranty.  Vehicle still leaks.

Going to make an attempt to do something regarding Ohio
Lemon Law because when the carpet and floor become
soaked it can cause the deployment of airbags and result
in loss of control, injury, or death.

My Avalanche is a loaded 2002 Z71.

Any comments would also be appreciated on how to fix
the leak in the event that the lemon law does not work out.

Never heard of any correlation between wet carpets and airbag deployment, but if they buy it, why not.  As for your leak, you need to do the same as grnxnam has and post up where it is wet, what you have done, etc..

I'm gonna do the obvious first...clean vents/drains, check seals, Flood the Av to find the leak and if necessary (most likely will be) put the midgate back in and add a few subs to the gate.  It was dry yesterday even after a lil rain.

completely dry since lowering the rear.  guess i just funneled it all in the cab.

Back