• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Remove Cladding....

stunna

Charter Member
Hello avy owners.....I am Offically a "New" Avalanche owner...and so far a very HAPPY one!!!! I have read almost every thread posted on this site,but yet to find one on Painting the cladding. I know some people paint right over the textured look,and some people perfer to put in the extra work and sand them down for a smooth finish,which I plan to do. But first I wanted to ask ALL of you to see if you know how to carefully remove them from the body without breaking or scratching anything???or if anyone can direct me to another site that has the how-to-do directions. Any reply will be very much appreciated. I will be posting some pictures very soon of my Southern Cal Stlye AVY sitting on 23'z...BLING

You might want to check out April's issue of Truckin's SUV. They did a project Avalanche and talked about the difficulty
removing the cladding. Can't be done without breaking the clips that hold it on. :mad:

Thanks guys for your info. Im gonna have to track down that magazine. I plan on starting my project this weekend. I will be documenting and taking pictures of everything I do for anyone that is interested in doing the same. Thanks

I DID PAINT MY CLADDING MY SELF ,WELL I HAVE ONE MORE DAY TO FINISH AND I ENDED UP WITH BRACKING 22 CLIPS, YOU JUST HAVE TO BECEAFUL WITH IT. AND ALSO YOU NEED TWO PEOPLE TO DO IT

ciajnik - do you have pictures? can you post them or email them to me? Did you match up the orange paint or go with a different two-tone scheme?

Suggestion... you might write up your experince, sort of step by step and post it. Maybe Chief can start a "how to" section with notes like these as opposed to open threads you have to sift through for info.

Anyhoo...
Nate

Sorry i dont have any pictures of it yet but i'll take some
and i'll post them soon. As far as the labor it took me about 3 1/2 weeks working from 2 to some times 5 hours a day and sundays about 8h.

stunna said:
I will be documenting and taking pictures of everything I do for anyone that is interested in doing the same. Thanks
stunna - I predict you will be a popular member of CAFCNA. Welcome to the forum and good luck with your project.

I applaud any man willing to thumb his nose nose at that warranty! ;D

Top ten reasons CAFCNA members modify their vehicle:

10. They have faith and confidence in what their doing.

9. Chevy forgot just this one thing....

8. They are restless and bored with too much time and money on their hands.

7. Because it drives their spouse crazy!

6. They feel that 285 horsepower is a starting point, not a destination! (1500 owners)

5. It's not loud enough unless your ears bleed.

4. They have faith in Chevrolet and the Avalanche product. (warranty??? who needs a warranty?)

3. Because we've always wanted to check our voicemail, while surfing the internet, as the kids are in the back watching TV and scanning various frequencies in order to talk to the space shuttle astronauts while the spouse pulls up directions on the GPS!

2. Because while others see the AV as a "large, oversized, running shoe", we see it as a "large, oversized, Corvette".

And the number one reason CAFCNA members modify their vehicle...

1. It's just not cool to play with Lego's and erector sets at this age! (No matter what anyone says, we're all still kids on the inside!!! :cool: :cool: :cool:)

Welcome to the board! We will all be interested in seeing your photos.

helmet

helmet said:
I applaud any man willing to thumb his nose nose at that warranty! ;D

?Top ten reasons CAFCNA members modify their vehicle:

6. ?They feel that 285 horsepower is a starting point, not a destination! (1500 owners)

2. ?Because while others see the AV as a "large, oversized, running shoe", we see it as a "large, oversized, Corvette".

helmet

6.1 They feel that 340 horsepower is a starting point, not a destination (2500) and 500 horsepower is possible and the natural state of things.

2.1 It could be a ressurected GTO with 4x4 ;D

They feel that 340 horsepower is a starting point, not a destination (2500) and 500 horsepower is possible and the natural state of things.

I greatly envy the natural state of things! :cool: ;D :cool: ;D

helmet

I have just finished pudding back on the rest of the painted cladding and i couldent belive how big of a difference the painted cladding will make my sunset orange AV look .The cost of the material was around
$850.00, but it was worth it the labor work i did it with buddy of mine. i used the PPG K36 produnt with the flex
to smooth it out.

CPR an old topic. >:D
Tomarow I'm shooting paint on my pewter AV. At my webshots site I'm documenting the way I'm doing it. Drop in and look around. I paint beter than I spell.

I paid $3.08 per clip to replace them.....47 of them.
It will be :cool:

no help. 3-4 hours every other day.
Also fixing damage from being rearended.
And mods (y)
$700.00 in paint and sand paper and the like

CIAJNIK said:
I have just finished pudding back on the rest of the painted cladding and i couldent belive how big of a difference the painted cladding will make my sunset orange AV look .The cost of the material was around
$850.00, but it was worth it the labor work i did it with buddy of mine. i used the PPG K36 produnt with the flex
to smooth it out.

Nice work on your paint job. I wish I had those skills to tackle a job like that on my own. I have painted before, but I lack the patience to do the job right. LOOKS GREAT!!!

gandolphxx said:
6.1 They feel that 340 horsepower is a starting point, not a destination (2500) and 500 horsepower is possible and the natural state of things.

Gandolphxx, your Av is WELL OVER 500HP. You know it and I know it. >:D :love: :B:

When will you hit 600HP? :0:

CIAJNIK said:
I have just finished pudding back on the rest of the painted cladding and i couldent belive how big of a difference the painted cladding will make my sunset orange AV look

Your SOM Av looks GREAT! ?Well done! ?It's a terrific looking Av and something you should be proud of.

Some questions for you:

1. ?What color is the hood? ?Did you just mask it and shoot the color?

2. ?What's going on with the front bumper area? ?Are those big lights? ?What kind? ?Could you take some close-ups of the bumper area?

3. ?What'd you do on the rear bumper? ?Did you simply paint the Chevy fake diamond plate a different color (what color?) or did you replace them with real diamond plate and paint that?

Nice job. ?Which side of the GWB (George Washington Bridge) do you live on? ?I'm a former No. NJ boy...

Best regards,

-Magic Mtn Dan ("MMD")

Magic Mtn Dan said:
Gandolphxx, your Av is WELL OVER 500HP. ?You know it and I know it. ? >:D ? :love: ? :B:

When will you hit 600HP? ? :0:
Only with nitrous, and again that is crank HP, what counts is at the rear wheels - I can hit over 400 RWHP with a 50 shot through the compressor.

Help!!! Does anyone have a a contact to get the clips for the cladding. GM wants $2.90 each. :eek: I only need 100 of em. Any aftermarket ones out there???

My AV is now painted... >:D will post final pics wed or thursday. She looks good, as far as I can tell, as she is still wet.
Now that I got downsized at work. I will have plenty of time to put her back together :-[

Hay sandman good luck with the clips, $3.08 each for me >:D

ok you guys we have all popped some clips, because we are running into the second year with our avs. i have drilled a bunch of clad, and appreciate the clad as easier to work with than metal, like for my thru the body exhaust tip. thats why we av, to mod, drive, and use the he** out of them. my av is a major part of my living, it is a business expense, midgate down, scratch and dent hard working chevy truck.... benefits are its modder heaven so keep racking up the miles and ... "have it your way" the av way....we.b havn. fun

JasonNewOrleans said:
Where did you get your gas cover from?

There is a site partner set up on the store page who sells the billet fuel door. HTH

Back