• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Side Air Vents In Cladding

Ahhnuld

Charter Member
;D I have joined got_change!

I threw a few bucks his way and he graciously tossed two stainless steel vents back. 20 minutes, a 3 inch hole saw, some JB Weld quick bond, and VIOLOA!

Daddy likes! (y)

Attachments

• vent.JPG
    vent.JPG
    16.1 KB · Views: 63
;D Awesome!
Can you post up a closer shot on this mod? It?s hard to see in the picture you supplied.

Here are 2 closeups of each side.

The space behind the vents actually have a path to engine area, and act as a small exhaust vent for the air that comes in through the grill up front. I think they look a lot better than they function, but when I stopped for fuel, I could feel the warm air emitting from them from the engine compartment. Looks very industrial. ;D

Attachments

• vents2.JPG
    vents2.JPG
    14.8 KB · Views: 60
Second closeup of vents.

(oh yeh, the horizontal lines you see in the middle of the screen is from the light reflection. They do not have a line, its straight mesh throughout)

Attachments

• vents3.JPG
    vents3.JPG
    20.6 KB · Views: 59
looks good!!! would you mine describing how the install went? im very interested, and did got_change mention anything about future orders & pricing?

thanks! (y)

hey avrs ahhnuld had the guts to drill his clad, he asked me about these, and i sent him a set,..... this club is for all of us avrs, and goo929 is my guardian angel to steer me in the right direction to .. mod mod mod... ask goo... what to do... and if this mod getsd ar un going we all should chip in a couple bucks for the cafnca,,,,,, this is no money deal, its amod deal and let goo lead us... i think they are ....cool. and ahhnuld must think it too cause he is now my av bro, because he drilled hus clad... remember avrs we have alot of fun here cause the chief, goo, ygmn, and so many more avrs . in this club and evenh me... just plain are having one good av ride... information on mods???? you are in the right place, so mod on av bros

Hey Vortek,
I paid him $24 for everything, shipping and all.
I measured 2 3/4 from the side of the door towards the front and 2 /14 from the line where the cladding creases up. Used a thumbtack in the middle of the screen to hold the screen in place to make sure I liked the location. Pulled it off and drilled a starter hole with the drill, then took the hole saw and drilled out the hole gently. I used a 3 1/8 hole saw which left some play, so a 3 inch may do better, just may have to trim out by hand to get a good fit. There is about 2-3 inches of space behind the plastic and you don't want to pop through too quick and hit the metal. Took a razor and cleaned off the shreds of plastic. Cleaned the plastic area and hole with alcohol. Used JB Weld JB Kwik, mixed a batch, used a toothpick to smear it under the lip of the screen, stuck it in the hole, used a clean cloth to QUICKLY wipe away any excess jb weld that may have oozed out from under the lip of the screen, applying pressure for 4 minutes to let it set. (You must hold it in due to the natural curve of the plastic, or the edges of the screen will stick out)Then for the most important step, DO NOT FORGET THIS PART, get a beer and congratulate yourself!

Thanks got_change for the great idea!

now daaaymn it ahhnuld, if we can get goo 929 to do this, and slip some purple neon behind it before he " sets the screens, hhooked up to the turn signals, old got change will just die happy thinkin he got a bunch of good ole boys .... drilling clad... hey im not kidding about the turn signals.... ahhnuld.... you wanna a free set of" rear bumper beverage holders" send me two stamps and yu gotta set cause you gotta enough guts to drill my screens have over 15000 miles on em just for the....AV of it..........takaezavbro

got_change said:
now daaaymn it ahhnuld, if we can get goo 929 to do this, and slip ?some purple neon behind it before he " sets the screens, ?hhooked up to the turn signals, old got change will just ?die happy thinkin he got a bunch of good ole boys .... drilling clad... hey im not kidding about the turn signals.... ahhnuld.... you wanna ?a free set of" rear bumper beverage holders" ? send me two stamps and yu gotta set cause you gotta enough guts to drill ? my screens have over 15000 miles on em just for the....AV of it..........takaezavbro

Now you may give GOO some new ideas for NEON....cutouts in the cladding with mesh over these to hide the NEON!!! >:D

This is a pretty cool idea. ?May I run with it?
I don't know how much area is back there open, but I think it would be pretty cool to use the same type of screens from the 'vette z06. ?There are some screens in front of the rear wheels that I just think would BAD!
I don't know dimensions or anything, but was just thinking.
:0:

13997715.jpg

Looks like you might even be able to flip them upside down and use them on the opposite sides of the AV.
Just a thought.

Earthquake...
Great minds must think alike! I've been searching all kinds of sites for replacement z06 screen assemblys. We'd have to get some sort of full assembly so that there would be a lip to cover the hole. My biggest concern is the un-eveness of the cladding wouldn't accept something that long. I don't think one could get it flush with the fluctuations in the cladding... the way it bulges out. I've been searching for something that will give the AV air vents similar to the '69 Mako Shark fender fins. That would look great! ...or... a small rectangular recessed aluminum or stainless piece with a stainless screen. I KNOW I've seen them before... vent for commercial stove, or high-end guitar amp or something... just can't find it!! The search continues! ;)

-------Bow:B:tie

Hey Earthquake,

I checked out the Z06 on Chevy's website, can't really see the vents, uless they are triangular in shape. The screens I put in are about 3 1/2 inches in diameter. Hope that gives a good point of reference.

You know what would look cool too? ?
What if you 3 of those round screens in decending sizes? ?Like the large on top in a 3" right below a 2.5" and right below a 2".
I remember seeing something like this on a (don't kill me now) Ford Himalaya (concept modded expedition).
I loved and wanted that truck if they ever made it, I'll post a link if I can find one. ?

Himalaya
Notice the output nozzles at the tops of the fenders.

That Himalaya looks like an old porthole Buick! :9:

I do like Ahhnuld's and GotChange's mod though!

And Neon behind them would be pretty cool at night!

earthquake,,months ago i talked about my cladding vents, on topics ranging from.....im glad i cut my clad, to goos posting of some of my pics, titled, av and mods y got change... the z06 were mentioned but the are too big. i just like the vent idea like z28 or trans am had.. i guess some manufactrere could make a custom triangular one , but i had to mod when i wanted to mad and the stainless screens have been an inexpensive, and quick and ez,,, and you know what they do make them 1 size smaller... get out the hole saw and cut the clad av brother!!!! ps lotta mods by got change if you tack em down, some are 00000$$$$$ in a hurry...gone...

Earthquake...
Now THOSE just might work!!! I had envisioned the large horizontal screens in the front air dam. Any idea of the dimension of the ones pictured in your post? They look GREAT...and look self-contained. A pretty simple add-on if they'll fit! I might even remove the screen and custom paint them to either match the cladding, or my LPM. GREAT FIND. Is there a GM stock number for them?

OK... here's the "SCOOP" get it??... the "SCOOP"! :rolleyes: Anyway the GM part numbers for the scoops on the Z06 are:
Left: 10322761
Right: 10322762
When I asked my dealer about cost, he quoted me $92.70 each :eek:! (A little profit hungry... don't ya think?)
I checked with GM parts direct and they have the list price at $79.33, with their cost as $42.55 each... much better!
I still need to get some measurements... there's not much room to work with on the cladding behind the front wheels! Maybe they'd look cool in front of the rear wheels... like on the Z06?! More Later!! ;)

the front fender clads are only about 25 bucks each if you mess em up, an interesting thing is the front fender is not full behind the clad, at least on the passenger side cause you can look thru and see the screen,.. that must mean 2003 have full fenders , cause of no clad, guess you could not add clad to a nocladder... i like clad cause its ez to cut and is inexpensive for side panels, at least. i see something about ahhnuld, and an engineer. i can hear him telling somebody about our "screens" These, airodynamicoutlets, reduce pressure under the hood, and let heated air exit at the fender area to promote a reduction in ambient temperature. got change been saying that, but usually just be saying, got a couple screens, cut a couple holes, and mess with a couple minds... ......ps, the spare new clads are in the garage gotta mod

howdy ahhnuld, got change here, just checking up on old mod ideas.

how have you liked the fender vents??

have a few people asked what the heck are they!!

I sent a set to sparky, up in canada, but i think up there, the air extractors will only let out cold air.

besides, you, sparky, another guy down here in florida, and me, i think only about 4 avrs have the fender air outlets.

maybe next year chevy will put them on at the factory!!!!!!!!!!

Right!!

keep on modding ahhnuld, see ya....got change

Hey got_change,
They are holding up great!
So far I attended one GTG and they did generate a lot of interest, including the service manager at a dealership.
No, I dont BS anyone, they do indeed allow heat to escape, so they are functional to a degree, but I fess up and just say "cause they look cool".

got_change said:
howdy ahhnuld, got change here, just checking up on old mod ideas.

how have you liked the fender vents??

have a few people asked what the heck are they!!

I sent a set to sparky, up in canada, ?but i think up there, the air extractors will only let out cold air.

besides, you, sparky, another guy down here in florida, and me, i think only about 4 avrs have the fender air outlets.

maybe next year chevy will put them on at the factory!!!!!!!!!!

Right!!

keep on modding ahhnuld, ? ?see ya....got change

They'll be included on the "Buick" version.

txyank1 said:
They'll be included on the "Buick" version.
Your not a kid if you remember the 'vented" Buicks! When I was a kid the next door neighbors had a Buick with a series of vents that looked like the exhaust pipe holes on a WWII fighter plane. Pretty cool stuff!

Back